Real-time tracking BMP

11-01-2021 11:44 AM
MatthewKing
Occasional Contributor II

I was wondering if anybody here has any experience and suggestions for getting as close to real-time location tracking when viewing the map on Field Maps?

We're tracking several resources using FM on Trimbles (Android OS) during a prescribed burn.  The person tracking their location is using a map on FM on an iPad.  We've updated the Last Known Location layer to refresh every 30 seconds and turned off battery optimization on the Trimble units.  Doing those two things seems to get us an up-to-date location every 60-90 seconds.  If that's the best we can hope for then so-be-it but maybe there's something else that we could be doing to improve it even more.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@MatthewKingIf you are able to deploy Field Maps via an MDM provider, you can lower the last known location update frequency to 5 seconds using AppConfig. You can read more about it in this documentation. Then you'd also want to lower the refresh interval of the layer in the map to 5-10 seconds (might need to do it in AGO Assistant since Map Viewer limits it to 30 or 60 seconds in the UI).

MatthewKing
Occasional Contributor II

@Anonymous User Thanks Aaron.  We're definitely not doing MDM but I'll look into it. Using AGOL Assistant I was able to edit the refresh interval in the JSON for those layers (I went with 0.2 minutes = 12 seconds). 

0 Kudos