Possible to move a polygon or line using Field Maps?

01-04-2022 12:44 PM
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

I have a use case where field crews may need to shift a circle that represents a sampling area when out in the field. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I learned how to copy a feature and geometry but have not found a way to move the circle to a new location. 

Alternatively, is there a way that a user can draw a circle with a set radius in field maps? Or add a point and buffer it?  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

You cannot move an entire polygon or line feature at once but can edit individual vertices. I think you are already on to the most viable solution which would be to copy the feature geometry and attributes and place where desired; you can then delete the original feature. This may not be an option if the feature participates in a relationship or has important associated metadata so keep that in mind. 

This may be a workflow better suited for the office in Pro or Online.

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for your response. I'm able to copy and paste a circle but in order to move it, I'd need to drag each vertex individually. We need to be able to support a workflow for moving polygons (circles) when users are offline working in the field. They have predefined sampling areas that are set up in the office on desktop GIS software, but sometimes, on arrival for sampling, they find that the sampling area (circle) needs to be shifted so that it falls entirely within a particular type of habitat. The only thing I can think of for now is to have them create a new circle using markup, use that for determining the sampling area, and then shift the original circle using Pro when back in the office. It would be better if the field crews could use Field Maps to specify a point and buffer it while in the field, or draw a new circle with a set radius. 

0 Kudos
HomeRangeWildlifeResearch
New Contributor

@Strahanjen @ColinLawrence Did you discover a way to move the location of your circle? I am in a similar situation in that I need field crews to be able to copy a line feature they have collected and move it to a new location and orientation. Any new ideas about the ability to do this in Field Maps?

0 Kudos
LarryW
by
New Contributor II

You can GPS the new plot location and then run the buffer tool after downloading the field data back to Pro.

I do my stratification using a lidar based canopy height model laid over a surface shaded relief model, using tree height to differentiate my vegetation types. It avoids the boundary plot problems.

0 Kudos
ChelseaVSmith
New Contributor II

Hi I am looking to edit single vertices of an existing polygon to an existing point in FieldMaps, your reply makes it sound like this is possible do you know how?

Best,

Chelsea

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChelseaVSmith You can absolutely edit single vertices on existing features. Start editing a polygon or line feature in Field Maps and it will display all of the vertices of the feature in the color of the symbology of the feature. One of the vertices is selected by default (the circle is filled in white) but you can tap on any vertex to select that one instead; then pan the screen and use the crosshair to select the new location. You then need to use the overflow menu (the three dots in the feature popup) and select "Update selected point" - this will move the location of the selected vertex. 

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
SMH-Rio
New Contributor III

"(...) but you can tap on any vertex to select that one instead;"

Is any additional configuration required to select a specific vertex in a polygon? No matter what I do, I can't select another vertex than the default one that the application itself gives me.

0 Kudos