Select to view content in your preferred language

Only using some layers as offline in iOS app

01-11-2024 10:44 AM
NicholasKatchur
New Contributor II

I'm trying to improve reliability for a field maps data collection process we're using in the field. I have tried using offline maps, but it's not quite the solution we need. We DO have cellular service and have the need for instant syncing of one of our feature layers with our enterprise system.

However there are 5-6 other feature layers that are static (uneditable, but need the ability to click a point and grab info from its attributes). Though these layers are ~1GB in size and are bogging down the cell connection and are slow to load. Is there any way to ONLY sync these few layers as offline, while still having our active data layer as live.

I understand we can turn on auto-sync with 15 minute changes, but we really need this to be instant for data protection and in office use.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked into TPKs and VTPKs?  The bummer is you have to burn them into one basemap depending on how you set it up. But maybe now you can add those to a map?

I have been asking for over 8 years I think for them to allow us to stack TPKs and VTPKs by layer.  It is part of the APK since we have done it in a custom app.  Would be sweet.  VPKs are best for vector data but for some odd reason Esri pushes then for continuous data.  Always weird to me.

0 Kudos
NicholasKatchur
New Contributor II

That sounds like a reasonable solution. I didn't realize vector tiles could have referenceable data. And then I could make the field maps iOS app use that new offline basemap like below? I may give this a go seems reasonable enough.

NicholasKatchur_0-1705002362781.png

NicholasKatchur
New Contributor II

Well I may have spoken too quickly. It looks like you can only use an offline basemap when you use the entire map offline. Is that true? If so that still defeats the intent of using the active feature layer online while the basemap (and associated layers) are on device.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yep that is what I meant.  You can only use one which is silly.  You can burn them in though if that works.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

oh I think you can make a VTPK then publish that to AGOL then use that new layer in the map.  Take a look at that also.

0 Kudos