Select to view content in your preferred language

Offline Map Areas and Password Changes

07-19-2021 02:04 PM
JohnLivengood
Occasional Contributor

Most of our staff have offline map areas downloaded to their devices for out of network collection.  Every few months our field staff must change their passwords which seems to wreak havoc on Field Maps.  I'm receiving reports of Field Maps crashing repeatedly.  In Collector we had issues as well, accounts becoming locked, missing maps, and so on.  

One staff member had to uninstall and reinstall Field Maps to be able to sign in with the new user credentials.  The app just kept crashing over and over.  

Any suggestions?  Do I have to ask all our users to sign out of Field Maps prior to changing passwords?  Or potentially removing any offline map areas?

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you using ArcGIS Online or Enterprise?

What type of authentication do you use? Built-in AGOL users, SAML, IWA etc...?

Which platforms do you see the issue on? Android or iOS?

0 Kudos
JohnLivengood
Occasional Contributor

Enterprise 10.81 and the field crews use iOS tablets only.  Authentication is using IWA.  

0 Kudos
HannesGrothkopf
Occasional Contributor

One of our customers is expecting similar issues in the "ArcGIS Field Maps" App (Version 23.2.3, iOS) when their users change their password in the connected Active Directory.

The specific issue here is that the users will no longer see content in the app after changing their password.

There is no information within the app about the password change or an invalid session/token.

In most cases a re-logging into the app solves the problem, but at first this is very misleading.

We are using ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 with IWA.

0 Kudos
jorisfrenkel
Frequent Contributor

I just encountered a similar issue. I had to change the password for my AD-account and haven't had problems  until I wanted to use a map in the Field Maps App on my Android phone from work that contains password protected layers. Take note that I already used the exact same password to log in to the Field Maps app itself. I made sure by writing the password in a note and copying it.

The culprit was a ñ I used in the password. After changing my password again, but now without a ñ, it worked again.

Apparently this is an issue in the Field Maps App on Android only, because on my personal iPhone I did use this password before to access protected layers in the app.