Offline Map Area Package Failure

Jump to solution
06-10-2021 02:26 PM
EL11
by
New Contributor II

I have a map that spans the entire state and am creating offline map areas via a desktop web browser to use on our mobile device. All layers have sync enabled but are not editable. It is a read only map.

I have a few issues which may or may not be related.

1) A package for an area is taking well over an hour, sometimes the whole day. These packages are 10 - 20 MB in size so I don't know why it takes so long. The layers are all hosted on the same AGOL site as the map, and all are correct in the areas that successfully are turned into offline maps.

2) One area for an offline map fails repeatedly. It appears there is some sort of smaller problem area within the area I'm choosing as I can make an offline area in one place and then try and make an identical size one adjacent to it and it fails. Since this area is using the same base map as every other successful offline area, I do not know why the failure is happening.

3) On my mobile device, I tried to create an offline area through the Field Maps App while connected to the internet. It fails with no error log or message. One moment its creating it, the next that area disappears from the list.

4) On the mobile device, it will not update any layers without completely logging out and logging back in and sometimes even that isn't enough and I have to delete the offline area from the device and grab it again. The device is an iPad with OS 14.4.1. 

Is there a way to see why a particular area is failing to package?   

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EL11
by
New Contributor II

I found out my problem. It was a layer with three corrupted features in the area I was packaging. I found it by removing one at a time layers until the area was successful. Then I took that layer hosted on my online portal data and exported it to a local geodatabase. During the export, a log was made by ESRI identifying the object id of the features could not be exported. Deleting those in the online version of the layer fixed everything and now there's success!

It would be a great enhancement to the Mobile Map and Field Maps offline packaging process if the package failure message could also generate more specifics as to why the package fails and which layers and features were the cause of the failure. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Use Map Packages for this use case.

A mobile map package consolidates maps and basemaps along with all referenced data sources into a single read only (.mmpk) file and has no limitation of file size. Read more about mmpks 

EL11
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't looked into making a package via the mobile map package button.

I tried it out to the same result. Over all areas but the one failing, it works. The one that failed still fails with this option, and the error log just says that the package failed.

I guess the next step is to go layer by layer and see if I can find which one is causing the failure and then go feature by feature to find the offending item.

0 Kudos
EL11
by
New Contributor II

I found out my problem. It was a layer with three corrupted features in the area I was packaging. I found it by removing one at a time layers until the area was successful. Then I took that layer hosted on my online portal data and exported it to a local geodatabase. During the export, a log was made by ESRI identifying the object id of the features could not be exported. Deleting those in the online version of the layer fixed everything and now there's success!

It would be a great enhancement to the Mobile Map and Field Maps offline packaging process if the package failure message could also generate more specifics as to why the package fails and which layers and features were the cause of the failure. 

StephenJackson1
New Contributor III

I ran into problem this morning creating an offline map.  Similar issue, package failed but no explanation as to why or tips to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
ChristianBPedersen
Occasional Contributor II

This might in some cases be a solution to this problem, but it is not a doable solution when the offline areas are to be used with the ArcGIS Field Maps data collection.

Christian Brogaard Pedersen
BenWalker1
New Contributor III

1) not much help, but I can confirm that we have managed to create a map area that 1.1 GB in size and it took about 6 minutes to process. This was on a 2 processer Enterprise 10.8.1 server. I agree with @Anonymous User that Map packages might be a better fit for you. 

Rama1356
New Contributor II

True, but Mobile packages are not helpful when you are collecting data using Field Maps

JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Same problem here (Sept 2022). It's so annoying having the field crew calling all the time complaining they can't download the offline area. Having productivity problems because of this and have no idea how to correct the problem. ESRI, c'mon !!!

RemWilson
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue right now. I checked the support page and triaged all the possibilities. this solution was even a part of the page, but my layers are all working properly with no issues.

I was able to create an offline area with only a basemap, but that doesn't help anyone.

Layers aren't the issue, size isn't the issue (small area and minimal zoom levels), no idea why these maps won't generate offline areas.