No manual collection possible?

Jump to solution
12-30-2021 08:35 AM
DamonBreen
New Contributor III

Hi all,

We have a facility collection map that we have created to map our underground facilities, and have set a required accuracy to 2 meters. Under some testing, we have found it is possible to move the map, and collect whether the accuracy requirement is met or not. Is there a way to prevent this? I think it is a good thing to be able to move the map and collect a feature from a distance, but I fear that we have some folks that may take advantage of this and would really like them to stick to collecting with the antennae we have provided them.

Thanks,

Damon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_McIntyre
New Contributor III

Damon,

Location services in Field Maps can be overridden for manual input as you've figured out. In regards to high-accuracy data collection, refer to this article by Esri on high-accuracy data collection where it goes over how to collect GPS metadata. 

With the GPS metadata included in each point collected, you can QA/QC your data to meet your accuracy requirements and ensure your data is being collected properly. If a user adjusts the location of a point manually, the GPS metadata will be cleared and null which will give you your answer as to whether the points were collected by a GPS receiver or not. 

Sometimes though, just as an FYI, depending on your receiver, it sometimes can be more accurate for a user to adjust the location manually. Unless you're using a high-end Trimble unit with a base station (and even then...), your GPS signal can get really out of whack especially if you're operating around trees or other obstructions to the sky. I'd recommend including high-res leaf-off imagery for your web maps so that when the need arises, they can accurately (to at least some degree) plot the location of what you're surveying.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_McIntyre
New Contributor III

Damon,

Location services in Field Maps can be overridden for manual input as you've figured out. In regards to high-accuracy data collection, refer to this article by Esri on high-accuracy data collection where it goes over how to collect GPS metadata. 

With the GPS metadata included in each point collected, you can QA/QC your data to meet your accuracy requirements and ensure your data is being collected properly. If a user adjusts the location of a point manually, the GPS metadata will be cleared and null which will give you your answer as to whether the points were collected by a GPS receiver or not. 

Sometimes though, just as an FYI, depending on your receiver, it sometimes can be more accurate for a user to adjust the location manually. Unless you're using a high-end Trimble unit with a base station (and even then...), your GPS signal can get really out of whack especially if you're operating around trees or other obstructions to the sky. I'd recommend including high-res leaf-off imagery for your web maps so that when the need arises, they can accurately (to at least some degree) plot the location of what you're surveying.

0 Kudos
DamonBreen
New Contributor III

I had just found the GPS Metadata tool. That's very nice. Still wish there was a way to completely lock it down. We have some older guys in the field that don't always do the best with tech and I worry that maybe they will accidentally move the cursor and we'll end up with poor data in those cases. However, being able to self-audit should do for what we're wanting to do. Thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos
Kevin_McIntyre
New Contributor III

Another option is to use Quick Capture which would help mitigate your concerns considerably, but at the expense of how much attribute data you can collect in the field.

0 Kudos
DamonBreen
New Contributor III

Yeah, we've played with it a bit, but after utilizing the smart forms in field maps, I think we'll just stick with it and monitor the metadata. Thanks again!

0 Kudos