Select to view content in your preferred language

manual entry of unique value in combo box

10-07-2022 01:33 PM
anacostiariver
New Contributor

In field maps, I have a combo box (drop down) with a list of 14 values.   How do I allow a user to enter a new unique value not in the list?  Form works almost perfectly , but I cannot enable the type of manual entry.   Any thoughts?

5 Replies
JustinReynolds
Regular Contributor

I don't think this will be possible until Field Maps provides a new field Input Type.  Right now, your combo box is populated with values in a domain and that is enforced in the database that you submit data to server side.  So even you were able to add your own value I think the submit would fail.

For this to work, this new Input Type would likely not be allowed on a field that had a domain. This domain-less field would allow you to define a client side pick list (in field maps web) that a user could select from or add to.

Long story short, I don't think it is currently supported/possible in Field Maps Mobile.

Sounds like a good one to submit as an Idea.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In 123 we use the 3 fields trick.  One is a drop down with a option of Other and the second field is a text box.  Then the 3rd is calculated - if they put Other for the drop down use the text box else use the drop down.  With calculated expressions and relevant hiding I think it could work.  In 123 then you can hide the first 2 from the service.  Not sure on Field Maps but you can always just hide them in the map and no one will notice.

Hope that helps.

anacostiariver
New Contributor

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

ABUGIS
by
New Contributor II

Did you have any luck with this ? would love to see your code in configuration part.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Field 1 is you list with a option of other in the list.  Field 2 is a text box with a relevant of field 1 = other.  The 3rd field is just  if(field 1 = 'other', use the other field 2, else use the main field 1).  You can hide it from the user using the hidden appearance or calculate type.  Then set the bind esri column to null if you do not want to see field 1 and 2 in the data.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos