Select to view content in your preferred language

Location Sharing and Field Maps

08-22-2023 09:33 AM
AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

Hello GIS Friends, good morning.

I have been trying to take 'Location Sharing' layer offline with ArcGIS Field Maps just like we did with 'Location Tracking' layer on ArcGIS Collector Classic. However, the last time I tried 'Location Sharing' layer on Field Maps, it is not able to go offline. Sync is not enabled. I had even opened up an enhancement with Esri to have that capability on it. I do not know the status of it now.

The point is, some of our federal projects require location tracking, especially when conducting aerial forest pest detection work. Even though ArcGIS Collector Classic is outdated and not supported, we at the Alabama Forestry Commission are still using Collector Classic, because it has the offline capability of tracking location of the aerial flights, and as such we are able to do our work of reporting flight track path to the federal government.

What happens if ArcGIS Collector Classic becomes totally unavailable in the future and we are not able to track location by going offline. What do we do? Does anyone know if Location Sharing layer can be taken offline?  Is there a work around? Is Esri doing something about it?

Thank you,
Abi

4 Replies
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AbiDhakal,

Thank you for posting this question. The location sharing capability supports offline use today and with ArcGIS Field Maps, it's independent of the web map itself. You don't need to add the layer to a map. If you want to see the tracks of other people and have the privilege to do so, then you can add that layer to a map. But as you've found, it does not support sync and needs to be used when connected.

You'll notice that on the maps screen there is a My Tracks card and you can enable/disable location sharing without ever opening a map. Also, regardless of the map used, you will see the Tracks layer in the layers tool and if you turn it on you can tap on your tracks to see them (connected or disconnected).

Here is the documentation topic on location sharing for more information:
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/help/track.htm

Coming from Collector Classic, you may be interested in the background capability as well. You don't need to keep the Field Maps app in the foreground for it to record, store and share locations anymore. 

Give it a spin in airplane mode without the layer in the map!

AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

@JeffShanerLocation Tracking layer in ArcGIS Collector Classic use to work in a disconnected environment. You say Location Sharing layer does not work in a disconnected environment, but you are tracked regardless of the network as long as you have 'My Tracks' Turned On in Field Maps? However though, each asset will have to have a license.  And, Location Sharing layer can be put on a web map to view it.

Thank you,
Abi

0 Kudos
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

@AbiDhakal let me clarify.

- the location tracking layer you have been using in Collector classic is a hosted feature layer that supports sync. When you work in a disconnected environment, the tracks are stored locally in your map.

- the location sharing layer used in ArcGIS Field Maps is a feature layer but it does not support sync. Even though it does not support sync, when you work in a disconnected environment, the tracks are stored locally on your device but not in a specific map. Very important here is that in the setup process, do not add the location sharing layer to your map. Please see the help topic I mentioned above and consider reading the ArcGIS Online help that discusses how to Enable location sharing in your organization. 

- regarding the licensing, if the user type that signs into Field Maps is a Mobile Worker user type, no license is required. For other user types, Viewer, Creator, GIS Professional it is required. If you have additional questions about licensing, please work with your account manager to guide you through.

- the location sharing layer is best used in web apps like ArcGIS Dashboards, Experience Builder apps, or Instant apps that are used for overall operational awareness. Important here are the security/privacy considerations for who can see the location of other users. If you would like, you can add that location sharing to a map and open the map in Field Maps. You will not be able to download the map, but you could use the map while connected to view the location of others.

JohnDeMartino3
New Contributor

So there is no solution if my team is working offline but wants to see where theyve surveyed during the week?  They can see their own tracks but if I want them to see everyone's tracks I need to copy the data into a layer that can sync?