Layers in Field Maps Not Editable

Jump to solution
02-01-2021 09:04 AM
edatdcamm
New Contributor

I have created a map in AGOL with editable layers. However, even though I checked the "Make Available in Field Maps App" under the map settings, it opens in the Field Maps app as "read-only", and there are no edit options available for the individual layers. How can I make the map editable? FYI, the feature layers within the maps are already showing as editable in AGOL.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

@edatdcamm 

Could you please share a web map with me that exhibits this problem? If so, please invite ArcGISFieldMaps into a group.

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
edatdcamm
New Contributor
Hi Kevin,

I do have a group within my AGOL organization for using this map via the Field Maps mobile app. How do you wish me to share it with you by inviting "ArcGISFieldMaps" to this group? You are not a member of my organization?

Ed Durbeck

EDWARD F. DURBECK IV

Program Coordinator III

[cid:d539dcc9-4ec7-43c4-8637-912911ac5ce6]

Division of Capital Asset Management & Maintenance

Office of Finance and Administration

One Ashburton Place, 15th Floor, Boston, MA 02108

www.mass.gov/dcamm

PHONE 617-727-4050

DIRECT 781-395-2588

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Yes that is correct. You should be able to search for users outside the organization. Adding that user to the group will send me an invite to join the group. 

I just want to review the structure of the map itself to hopefully try and narrow down what's happening. 

Thanks

-Kevin

0 Kudos
edatdcamm
New Contributor
Hi Kevin,

I have sent you that invite. After joining the group, you should be able to access the map in question "Equipment Data Collection". Thanks verify much for your help with this,

Ed Durbeck

EDWARD F. DURBECK IV

Program Coordinator III

[cid:5ad7ee63-ad8b-4993-81ea-1113766e4dcc]

www.mass.gov/dcamm

PHONE 617-727-4050

DIRECT 781-395-2588

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @edatdcamm 

Thank you for the map. I can reproduce the same issue on my end. However when I save a copy of that map on my end, I can edit successfully. Therefore this issue still appears to be licensing related. 

I would still like to try to figure out why you don't have the setting for 'Use in ArcGIS Collector', since as I mentioned before, this currently provides the ability to edit within ArcGIS Field Maps. 

- You mentioned previously that you're the org admin. Are those the same set of credentials you're using to sign into ArcGIS Field Maps? If so, the role is Administrator, but what is the user type? i.e. creator, etc. 

- You also mentioned previously that you do have the Field Apps bundle listed with all the apps in the org licenses section, but just to confirm, the user account you're signed in with has that license applied is that correct? If you go to 'My profile' > 'View my settings'  > licenses, you should see the Field Apps bundle listed for that user.

Thank you for this information

-Kevin

0 Kudos
edatdcamm
New Contributor
Hi Kevin,

To answer your questions - I am an administrator with the Creator user type and under my AGOL licenses, I do have the Field Apps Bundle that includes ArcGIS Field Maps and ArcGIS Collector.

EDWARD F. DURBECK IV

Program Coordinator III

[cid:1328a6cc-383a-4818-b7e4-8b7a58cd8f96]

www.mass.gov/dcamm

PHONE 617-727-4050

DIRECT 781-395-2588

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @edatdcamm 

Do you have other maps that this issue happens with as well or just this one?

As a quick test, in the map you shared with me, try disabling editing on the layer through the Map Viewer in ArcGIS Online > save the map > enable editing again > save again. Does this make a difference? 

Thank you

-Kevin

Ade_Bruijn
New Contributor III

Thanks, this worked. And the map is now visible in the collector and classic collector. Before it didn't even appear in those.

Thanks,

Anne

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @edatdcamm 

I just wanted to follow-up to see if you'd been able to test what I suggested above by resaving the map to see if the ability to edit in Field Maps changes? 

In general, when saving a web map that supports editing, certain keywords are added into the web map's JSON. One of the keywords being `Data Editing` that other apps including Field Maps use to allow the user to edit. The fact that that keyword wasn't written for that map despite the fact that you can edit in ArcGIS Online is the strange behavior. Therefore this is why I am suggesting resaving and disable/reenable editing in the map to trigger that keyword to get written as a test.

Thanks

-Kevin

edatdcamm
New Contributor
Hi Kevin,

Your save/resave suggestion did the trick. In addition to making the map editable in Field Maps, it also made the map sharable within my AGOL organization.

I'll have to remember this for future reference. Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated!

Ed Durbeck

EDWARD F. DURBECK IV

Program Coordinator III

[cid:fbb3b07e-b1ba-4c25-b032-6c4f247d9eca]

www.mass.gov/dcamm

PHONE 617-727-4050

DIRECT 781-395-2588

0 Kudos