Select to view content in your preferred language

GPS Extender for tablet

10-14-2022 06:06 AM
adminUtility
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with streaming a path in Field Maps.  Not all points are being collected and the path turns into a straight line going across the features.  I created offline maps as it seems not all parts of the collection area have good reception.  I thought this should have fixed the problem, but it didn't.  I was hoping the use of a GPS extender would help.  Has anyone had any success with an extender, if so, which make/model did you use?  We are using Samsung tablets A7Lite. 

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KatHerrera
New Contributor II

Have you checked your collection settings on your device? You can set the Streaming distance under Profile within Fieldmaps to improve your line accuracy, then when you start to collect a line be sure to select 'Start streaming'. I've not tried a gps signal booster; using Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite.

0 Kudos
adminUtility
New Contributor II

I did check the settings, and nothing seems to work.  Perhaps I'm not making the correct adjustments.  I'll have to revisit.  If not, I'm hoping the extender will solve the problem.  Thanks for your reply.  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are two places Collection settings can be set. Either on the device or in the Field Maps desktop app, which then defines the settings for all users of the map (you have to overide it if you want to use your device settings instead). The setting is for either the distance or time between each point captured. If you want something very accurate set it to capture every 1 second. Another option is to enable GPS averaging which will enforce better data collection. 

I've tested a Garmin Glo 2 Bluetooth GPS with Field Maps and have found them pretty good. They can be a pain to sync up and I've had an issue once where I couldn't get it to find a position at all, but it was in dense forest when first trying to connect it (once connected it worked fine). There's a list of tested devices here 

0 Kudos
adminUtility
New Contributor II

I'll have to revisit the settings based on your descriptions.  Hopefully there was something I missed.  

I'll check out the receivers too.  Thanks!!

0 Kudos
LayerItOn
Occasional Contributor

GPS averaging does not apply to streaming unfortunately. They are mutually exclusive. 

0 Kudos