FieldMaps (iOS) dropping R1 Connection spontaneously?

Jump to solution
03-24-2022 09:58 AM
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi all,

I've been having this issue with FieldMaps for a few months now, so I figured I'd check with other people.

In short, FieldMaps (on iOS) appears to be dropping connection to my Trimble R1 entirely with no warning; I watched it switch from 70cm to 2.1m last week in a flash. 

Collector has never had any issues, but this issue is pretty frequent for me in FieldMaps. The apps handle the connection differently, which might be part of it.

I originally posted about this issue on the Trimble Community and I'm interested in hearing if other people are having this issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for the details! Its not about having the TMM open or in the background because that should not interfere with workflows in Field Maps. However, ensure that you do not enable the "Connect to source" toggle in TMM before setting up the receiver in Field Maps as this will lead to a bluetooth contention scenario between the two apps as I believe @DamonBreen is getting at above. I wouldnt go as far as saying you should never open TMM but I suppose that is a good way to ensure you dont accidently toggle this on!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AlfredBaldenweck ,

Have you checked the GPS details in Field Maps when you notice this issue happening? The provider should be listed there and it would be interesting to know if its still reporting the R1 as the provider or if it shows Integrated. Are you sure not sure falling back to SBAS by chance? This should also be indicated in the Fix Type field. If you have GNSS metadata added to your service try collecting a point to double check these field values as well. 

Please confirm the version of Field Maps and Trimble Mobile Manager you have installed.

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Colin, thanks for the response.

I'm using TMM 2.9.5.1175 and FieldMaps 21.2.0. I first noticed this issue a few months ago, so I believe it's persisted through multiple updates of either app.

This most recent time I was using SBAS. Expected accuracy in my area for that is anywhere from 70-90cm.

I just went out and tested, and it happened again.

1. Turn on R1, open TMM to monitor the precision before actually testing. Close TMM once it reached expected precision (88-ish cm).
  2. Open FieldMaps, get routed through my map to TMM back to my map

It went from 87cm to 2.1m in a flash, while still saying that it's provided by the R1.

I went back to TMM and told it to connect to the R1 (normal behavior). It initially showed at 2.5m Autonomous before switching to 89cm SBAS. 

Reviewing my steps, and repeating them a few times, I think what I'm experiencing is a graphical bug; it initially shows the last thing TMM saw, but since I closed TMM, it switches to to my integrated provider while still saying that I'm drawing from the R1. So, I guess the lesson here is always open TMM before FieldMaps and to keep it open during collection. 

That's an easy enough fix, but I am confused; FieldMaps opens the TMM app whenever you first open FM and load into a map. If TMM is opened by FM, why isn't that enough to get things going?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
DamonBreen
New Contributor III

So we were having the exact same issue, and I reached out to my Trimble vendor to talk with them, and was told NOT to open TMM first. The very first time you set up a new connection to an external antenna, or to make a change to the antenna settings are the only times you should manually open TMM. Like you said, Field Maps will open TMM and enable to connection for you. If you've already opened it and are monitoring precision and the connection is already made, so when you select the antenna in Field Maps the apps are essentially fighting each other. 

I've passed this on to our field guys and it seems like it's made a noticeable improvement. 

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for the details! Its not about having the TMM open or in the background because that should not interfere with workflows in Field Maps. However, ensure that you do not enable the "Connect to source" toggle in TMM before setting up the receiver in Field Maps as this will lead to a bluetooth contention scenario between the two apps as I believe @DamonBreen is getting at above. I wouldnt go as far as saying you should never open TMM but I suppose that is a good way to ensure you dont accidently toggle this on!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin