Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps Multiple Label Classes?

08-09-2024 06:55 AM
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

Using AGO & latest version of Field Maps.

Field Maps does not honor multiple label classes.

• Labels are enabled at the HFL level (using Visualization Tab).
  • Modification to the labels within the web map are saved and honored in both Map Viewer and Field Maps mobile app
  • Adding a second label class to the layer within the web map only Map Viewer displays the label class correctly; Field Map mobile app only displays the first label class.

Use case:

Map Viewer does not support symbolizing by multiple fields in the case of say Type + Status fields/two text fields. [Map Viewer only supports multiple fields in the sense of choose a field, then choose another to define symbology graduation.]

Map Viewer does not support Arcade driven symbology based on conditional logic.

The workaround here was to create a secondary label class to indicate the status of a point feature while the symbology indicated the 'type' of the feature.

Has anyone else tried to use multiple label classes in Field Maps? I cannot find any documentation regarding this.

4 Replies
MErikReedAugusta
Frequent Contributor

Arcade should be able to do this, no problem.  Can you share the code you were trying to use and/or the names & datatypes of the two fields you're trying to symbolize against?

Wait, I misread this as being about symbology, not label classes.  I've never actually tried to do a label generated from two fields in AGOL.  That seems like a weird oversight on ESRI's part, but it unfortunately wouldn't terribly surprise me.

EDIT:

Okay, I just ran a quick test both with multiple fields and with if/else statements driving a label expression in Map Viewer, and everything worked as expected.  So now I'm back to recommending that you share the code you were trying to use and/or the names & datatypes of the fields you need to combine for the label.

Okay, clearly I need caffeine before I try to troubleshoot.  I'm only able to test the Map Viewer side of things at the moment, which is where you're saying it works.  Still, this sounds like extremely odd behavior for Field Maps, so I'd be curious to see screenshots & other details of your attempted implementation to see if it's failing somewhere that's fixable by an end user, or whether it looks like a system issue on ESRI's end.

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

so I'd be curious to see screenshots & other details of your attempted implementation

It's literally the most vanilla testing. This is not a single label from 2 fields. This is 2 labeling classes, one field for each. I'm testing in a connected/online environment and it's still failing in Field Maps app.

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

Bump.

I'm surprised Field Maps doesn't support multiple label classes.

0 Kudos
MtkaIraRaber
Emerging Contributor

I've been having this exact issue for quite a while now, but with enterprise layers. I have a layer that has four label classes, but it only honors the symbology of the top-most class in the list and it completely ignores any filters. It works great in Map Viewer, but Field Maps just doesn't seem to work well at all with this kind of labelling.