Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps Designer New Layers

Jump to solution
04-06-2023 08:51 AM
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @SarahSaint-Ruth , for the info provided at the below location. A follow up question below.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-blog/what-s-new-in-arcgis-field-maps-november-2022/b...

You mention in your response that, paraphrasing, in Field Maps Designer (FMD) you can 'create new layers for the field'. Do you mean that a new data layer for an online map can be created completely in FMD without first creating a new shapefile or geodatabase with schema and attributes created by traditional desktop ArcGIS or ArcPro followed by publishing to a feature service?

I will watch the webinar and other documentation you linked to previously and this may be answered there, but my first thought before going there was my above question. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SarahSaint-Ruth
Esri Contributor

Yes, you can create a layer in Field Maps Designer. Here is a video showcasing how to do this. You can also view in our webinar I linked to in the previous post.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SarahSaint-Ruth
Esri Contributor

Yes, you can create a layer in Field Maps Designer. Here is a video showcasing how to do this. You can also view in our webinar I linked to in the previous post.

0 Kudos
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for that information, Sarah. I have tried it and it does in fact work as you mentioned.

For those of us who are more used to the traditional data creation scheme in ArcMap/ArcPro and data storage on an internal ArcGIS Server, this is a little outside of that methodology. Creating a data layer in Field Maps Designer results in a 'hosted' data layer stored on the ESRI AGOL Servers. As such, that layer is not available, I don't think, to the desktop users not on AGOL. The hosted data layer can be exported to a stand alone shapefile via the AGOL interface and made available in the traditional way to desktop users. But if you had a dynamic dataset being updated by AGOL data collection, you would be challenged in keeping sync'ed up with that with a series of Exports to a traditional shapefile.

Thanks again for your guidance, Sarah.

0 Kudos