Field Maps and Survey123 - select multiple attributes

06-11-2021 03:32 AM
ThomasD
New Contributor

Hello,

I have two options for mobile data collection: Field Maps and Survey 123. In Field Maps, I can create geometries that remain visible on the display. However, so far I have not found a way to select multiple attributes for a geometry (point, etc.) (e.g. plant species list at a site). In Survey 123, I can select multiple attributes for one geometry using the handy 'multi_select' field type. However, the geometry created does not remain visible on the display after capture. So my question: is there a way to create a feature with a field type similar to 'select_multiple' as in Survey123 for use in Field Maps? Or is there a way to make the already collected points visible in Survey 123 (without revisiting the records in the output)? I have little experience yet and ask for your indulgence. Thanks already for all helpful answers.

Thomas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have a test project going where we collect the geometry in Field Maps and the data in 123.  I relationship class the two together since we collect multiple shapes per form.  But really you can point both 123 and Field Maps to the same feature service also.

One is great for spatial usage and input while the other is great for data entry.  Neither do both very well at this point really.

See here for info on an integrated workflow using both Field Maps and 123.  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

That said be careful with select multiple as it makes for hard to analyze data.  I tend to use a repeat, multiple fields and combine later in script, or split the multiple list into rows later in script.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
ThomasD
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions, Dough.

Unfortunately, they don't get me any further in solving the problem.

What does "... point to the same feature service ..."?

In the "some up" of the post from 01-16-2019 I can't follow ""download this service template gdb and add it to the "master" gdb"" and "... point Survey123 form to this new service that ArcMap created." I only see the possibility of importing the Survey123 to ArcMap and then the "select_multiple" function is lost.

I am probably missing some important basic knowledge. Is there a more detailed step by step instruction somewhere, preferably for doing the steps in ArcGIS Pro?

Once again, thank you very much for all your efforts.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You use Field Maps to collect the geometry.  Then 123 for the data.  Both can use the same layer using a Submission URL in 123.  But passing URLs for editing can be tricky and I have not done it.

Or you have a geometry layer then related table.  My directions were just to copy the table and Feature class into the same GDB, then publish that, then point the form to it.  If you are new this may be a bit complicated for you.  What I posted is about as step by step as I can make it.

Sorry maybe not a good fit.