Enterprise 10.8.1 Field Maps Settings Tool Missing?

04-22-2021 10:55 AM
JoySoulliere
New Contributor II

I do not see the Settings tool that is available in AGOL version of field maps that allows you to control the photo settings.

I have FieldMaps 20.4.0

EnterpriseFieldMaps.JPG

0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are no more planned updates for the Field Maps web app on 10.8.1. Starting at 10.9, the Field Maps web app will be shipping with the rest of ArcGIS Enterprise - there will not be a stand-a-lone installer. In order to use new features (that are currently available in ArcGIS Online) you will need to update your version of Enterprise. The map settings will not be available until Enterprise 10.9.1 (or whatever the version after 10.9 is).

There are a few reasons for this:

1.This is that pattern that other core apps like Map Viewer, Dashboards, and the Home app follow.

2. The version of the JavaScript API that Field Maps web uses is embedded with ArcGIS Enterprise. Many new features and capabilities of Field Maps web rely on the latest version of the JavaScript API. Even if Field Maps web was deployed with a custom version of the JS API, other apps like the New Map Viewer would not be and this would cause issues with losing information when saving maps.

3. Similarly, there are cases where Field Maps needs to use new or updated back-end APIs. These are not available on previous/currently released version of ArcGIS Enterprise.

4. There is significant overhead to building, testing, and releasing stand-a-lone setups for ArcGIS Enterprise. This greatly impacts that pace at which our team can build new features.

0 Kudos
JoySoulliere_1
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer. 

It appears the ability to set the photo size has been removed from the mobile application which means that if you are using the Enterprise version there is no way to set the photo size in the field.

Is that correct?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That is correct. We are aware of this and are formulating a plan to address that deficiency/change.

0 Kudos
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

Just wondering if there is a similar problem introduced now with barcode scanning as a result of the new versions of the apps and the (understandable) lag for the next Enterprise release?

Prior to the client update I had a map with a text field that I'd configured in Field Maps Enterprise 10.8.1 and I think I was just able to make use of the general barcode capability within the apps to scan barcodes.

Having gone back to the same map with updated client apps (21.1.0 on both iOS and Android) that functionality no longer seems to be there and I don't have the ability to configure that in the web app as yet. Or am I just missing something somewhere?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@GarethBaker1Yes the barcode scanning is essentially the same issue. We're working on a fix for the missing settings options and barcode scanning for maps/enterprise versions which cannot support the new features. Estimated timeline is to have a fix within the next 2 weeks.

0 Kudos
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks Aaron, that's really good to know that there's a short term fix coming.
0 Kudos
SueEnyedy
New Contributor II

Hi Aaron - I just checked in Enterprise 10.9 and don't see the barcode optoin - should we expect it for 10.9.1 or is a fix coming before then ? Thanks! 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The barcode input type (defined using the web app) will be available on Enterprise starting at 10.9.1.

There was a bug in the mobile app at 21.1 where all barcode scanning was not available for text/numeric fields when a form was used with Enterprise 10.8.1/10.9. This should have been addressed if using the latest version of 21.2.X of the mobile app. So while the input type for a barcode is not available in 10.9, the default behavior where any text/numeric field can be scanned should be available (for backwards compatibility with Enterprise).

0 Kudos
SueEnyedy
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick replay Aaron 😀

I will pass this along. Sue

0 Kudos