Dynamic Links between Field Maps and Excel

09-02-2021 12:10 AM
VenugopalAgrawal
New Contributor

Hi All,

I have set up a field data collection system through Field Maps for My organization. A lot of data related to a number of fixed polygons is stored in nested tables within field maps (This was done by creating relationship classes in Arcgis Pro and uploading the Map to AGOL. Then I configured a smart form for this using field maps). 

My question is that I would like to create a dynamic link such that every time a field worker updates something on the field, The changes get automatically (or at least periodically) updated to an excel table on a PC in my head office. Is this possible in any way?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Since you are using hosted feature services, you can leverage webhooks to solve your problem. There are two blog posts showing how to do this:

You could also write a scheduled script/notebook to periodically do the updating.

0 Kudos
VenugopalAgrawal
New Contributor

@Anonymous UserI am going through the blog posts you shared. However, since both Integromat and Power Automate are priced services, I am not sure whether our team will be able to take on the added expense. This is something I am exploring though.

Meanwhile, I did manage to create a workflow for doing this using Modelbuilder in Arcgis Pro but that is still a bit of a cumbersome process. So, it would be great if you could share a resource regarding how this can be done in Notebook or with a scheduled script.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is a hosted service or SDE?

I did this with Python and code to update Google Sheets.  Could check that out.  I could try and dig some code up if you want.

I always wished that the ArcGIS for Office thing would display tabular data from a service in Excel.  But instead it just displays maps in Excel.  It gets asked for so much.  If your data is enterprise then you could use SQL.

I would also consider something more modern like Ops Dashboard.  Excel is so 1995.  🙂

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
VenugopalAgrawal
New Contributor

@DougBrowning

1. It is a hosted service.

2. Please share an example of the code that you used. The trouble for us here would be that none of us in our team are comfortable with python or any form of scripting 😞 :(. I have some prior programming experience in other languages, so understanding how the code works will be challenging for us. However, since this is a must, I will give it a go.

3. Form monitoring purposes, we are hoping to use the dashboards. However, we need to share data with donors and maintain an easily accessible MIS, which is why we need google sheets or excel. 🙂

0 Kudos