Default Values not working in Field Maps Mobile

Jump to solution
11-15-2021 07:26 AM
KristinThorpe1
Occasional Contributor

I have a hosted feature layer named "Construction" that I am using to show the location of construction site projects. When I add a new point, I want the "Construction Phase" field to default to "Active Site" (aka domain 7). As far as I can tell, the feature layer is set up correctly to assign this default value. If I use Map Viewer to add a new point, the Construction Phase defaults to "Active Site" like I want, but when I use Field Maps mobile, the default is not assigned. This work flow will most likely be used with Field Maps mobile and will create issues down the road if the default value is not set. 
Am I missing something? Why is the default value not being set in Field Maps but working everywhere else?

33 Replies
SophieWatts
New Contributor II

It is now showing in templates (I've re-uploaded the layer a few times by now) but still no default value when adding a point in Field Maps 😕

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you able to invite the "craig_sp" user to the group so we can take a look at the layer and web map?

0 Kudos
DustinHall1
New Contributor II

Hi Sophie, did you ever get this resolved? Having a similar issue with Field Maps / Collector. In ArcGIS Pro, the feature templates show the default value, when published the REST shows the default value, the default values work when I work on Portal webmap but when I go make a edit within the App, default values don't get added. Never had this issue before....

0 Kudos
SophieWatts
New Contributor II

I spoke with Esri and was informed of the following bug: BUG-000144318 - When you publish a layer from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online that has default values set on at least one field and there are existing features the default values will not show up in ArcGIS Field Maps web app Smart Form Templates.

They informed me of the following workaround:
You can export a FGDB in ArcGIS Online from the hosted feature layer that has these default values setup and then publish a new hosted feature layer copy from this FGDB. This copy will not exhibit the behavior. Note that this will be a distinct layer and will not have a service definition. Meaning that you can't overwrite it from ArcGIS Pro like the original layer.

JessicaWay1
New Contributor III

We are having the same issue with the defaults not showing in the Field Map App. However, they default values are showing when acces through the Web Map. We have tried to turn off/on the default values but that is not working. The defaults are showing in ArcPro but not in the app. The issue in the app appears on both iOS and Android devices. 

Please see the attachments. All fields should have a default answer as No.

AnneSantaMaria
New Contributor III

We are currently experiencing the same issue with default values not sticking in field maps, even though the JSON indicates it is set and feature templates have them AND the database has the information set. We are using Enterprise as well.

@CraigGillgrass   I am tagging you as a starting point for helping us get direction on this issue.

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@AnneSantaMaria did you publish the layer from Pro?  There's a known issue with publishing layers from Pro that was referenced earlier in the thread.  If you're not publishing the layer from Pro, can you clarify how it's published?

thanks, Craig

0 Kudos
AnneSantaMaria
New Contributor III

I did notice that. We are publishing from Pro from an enterprise database so the workaround isn't feasible for long term data management. I'll pay attention to this thread and upcoming events so I can follow any progress made. 

MarkPalmer
New Contributor

We are in the same situation - publishing from Pro from an Enterprise gdb and trying to access defaults via Field Maps.  Sounds like we are SOL until this bug gets fixed?  Do you know if it still worth filing a ticket with ESRI?  Our offline maps are also failing to work with Enterprise layers, but that's a problem for another thread. 😉

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Mark,

You should be able to workaround this by ensuring that all fields are added to the feature template, prior to publishing the data.  This is the bug in Field Maps, we're only looking at the list of fields in the feature template when populating the list of fields under Default Values.

If this doesn't work - please let me know.

Craig

0 Kudos