Decimal option missing on Android Tablet

Jump to solution
12-15-2020 02:25 PM
WillStewart
New Contributor II

I'm not sure if this is a localized issue, but we are having issues being able to have a decimal point when capturing data.

On our android phones (version 9), the ability to use a decimal point is available.
On our android tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab A Version 9), the ability to use a decimal point is missing.

Is there something we need to do on the tablet? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @WillStewart , 

This is a known limitation of keyboards on certain devices (I have seen it on a Tab A for example). There is a bug logged for this with support: BUG-000131801. You could reach out and attach yourself to this bug to help estimate how many are affected by this. 

The workaround would be to install another keyboard and set it as the default, like the Google keyboard, GBoard. I hope this helps!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @WillStewart , 

This is a known limitation of keyboards on certain devices (I have seen it on a Tab A for example). There is a bug logged for this with support: BUG-000131801. You could reach out and attach yourself to this bug to help estimate how many are affected by this. 

The workaround would be to install another keyboard and set it as the default, like the Google keyboard, GBoard. I hope this helps!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
jorisfrenkel
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

Strangely enough Esri has apparently repaired this bug in the Collector App, but re-introduced it in the Field Maps app? In fact I can't remember ever having seen this numerical keyboard in the Collector App. Maybe this bug has been erroneously linked to the Collector?

My colleagues and I do not see it on our Android devices in Collector, but only in Field Maps. Android 9 and Android 11.

I escalated the bug, because many people will be impacted by it.

Joris Frenkel

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @jorisfrenkel ,

The Bug for Collector (BUG-000131801) was not addressed and is still open. The only app this issue was "fixed" on was Collector Classic where a custom keyboard solution was added. This solution is not ideal for a number of reasons so it has not been implemented for the newer Collector or Field Maps. 

If you are seeing this on Field Maps and not Collector on the same devices, it could warrant its own Bug. What devices are you using and what is the default keyboard? Thanks!

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
jorisfrenkel

Hi @ColinLawrence ,

I am very confused now. Yesterday I tried both the Collector App Classic and the Collector App. and both show the ordinary keyboard, so no problem to enter decimals. Today I wanted to check the language on my phone, switched it from Dutch to English, and switched it back. After that I tried the Field Maps App again, and now I am seeing the ordinary keyboard in the Field Maps app as well. So for me the problem seems to have disappeared.

I will check with my colleagues to see if they can use this workaround too.

Joris

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for the update @jorisfrenkel . It sounds like switching the device locale might switch the default keyboard as well. To clarify, were you using Dutch previously when you were seeing the issue or are you not sure what the original locale was set to? Although it was not specified im sure the existing bug was logged specific to the English (US) locale and the default keyboard for most Samsung devices. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
jorisfrenkel

I am sorry, I have been creating confusion. The things I said about the Collector App and Collector Classic and the workaround in  the Field Maps app are not valid, since it seems I have been testing with a field that I supposed to be a value field, but isn't. 

So what's valid is that the Field Maps app has this bug too. I escalated the bug, I hope Esri will do something about it.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

I appreciate the the clarification which now aligns more with what I was expecting. The team will continue to monitor this feedback. For now please utilize the workaround of installing another keyboard like Google Gboard. Thank you for taking the time to report this.

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos