Data Sync

Jump to solution
12-12-2021 08:40 PM
Y_Chau
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello

While collecting data with Field Maps online, data syncs automatically after every feature. Even when Auto-sync is off and Sync and update via cellular is also off. Normal workflow would be for user to collect or update data quickly and store locally. Then sync all updates at a later time.

Is this by design or I am doing something wrong?

Sincerely

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

You are describing the offline collection by design.

If you are collecting in online/live mode, it will try to save the feature(s) when you hit submit.  If you want to save them "locally", then sync it back at a later time, that IS Offline editing.  besides, when the network is slow, it will have issues with the basemap data as well, not just the edited data.

I have the background loaded directly on the the device, create offline area and download to device.

This way, the basemap doesn't need data connection, and neither does the edited data until you are ready to sync your edits.

Go to field, collect all the data I want, return to office, connect to "faster" network and sync the new edits that are stored onboard for later.

As far as failing for large areas, need to remember this is ESRI, and stuff like that you will have to learn to live with and adjust your workflow accordingly.  (aka, the "Workaround")

R_

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

If you are working with live map, that is the way it works.

The sync is for "Offline" data.  If you are using offline data, you also need to turn off auto sync for that specific layer in Field Maps app.  This is where that setting is:

rzufelt_0-1639784279664.png

0 Kudos
Y_Chau
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi @rzufelt that's wrong design. Data and background maps can be cached I suppose. Therefore while collecting, new features or edits should store onboard and sync later when user finishes field work. Otherwise its slow mostly and very slow if network is poor. I have seen it fail as well quite often after about a minute of trying. I can take data offline but that too fails quite often for large areas

Simply put, user should be able to work online and store new data onboard until they wish to sync.

Sincerely

0 Kudos
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

You are describing the offline collection by design.

If you are collecting in online/live mode, it will try to save the feature(s) when you hit submit.  If you want to save them "locally", then sync it back at a later time, that IS Offline editing.  besides, when the network is slow, it will have issues with the basemap data as well, not just the edited data.

I have the background loaded directly on the the device, create offline area and download to device.

This way, the basemap doesn't need data connection, and neither does the edited data until you are ready to sync your edits.

Go to field, collect all the data I want, return to office, connect to "faster" network and sync the new edits that are stored onboard for later.

As far as failing for large areas, need to remember this is ESRI, and stuff like that you will have to learn to live with and adjust your workflow accordingly.  (aka, the "Workaround")

R_