Create a New Polygon for each record of Historic, Tabular Data?

Jump to solution
09-16-2022 01:35 PM
DavidMurray_ODWC
New Contributor III

The Head Biologist who knows where everything is is retiring at the end of the month.

I've taken the past decade of critter-capture records, and made a nice, clean table.

While there is a field called "location," it often holds less than useful geospatial data.  "South of Talihina," the number "1," "Cucumber Creek," the name of a town, and vague references to corners of mountains are pretty good for field notes, but not so great for species modeling.

I have a Table of Non-Spatial Data. 

For each record in the Table, I want the Senior Bio to draw a polygon on a map, and save it.

I thought creating a Relationship Class between the Table (origin) and the [empty] polygon Feature Class would do it, but only the FeatureClass appears in the Collection Dialog, and it won't even allow me to submit it... probably because I didn't/can't relate it to a tabular, historic record..

Am I on the right road for this?  Is Field Maps the best product for this project?

I realize this is backwards from the normal Collection workflow, but I'm hoping someone out there has experienced something similar.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here's how I would do it:

1. Create the "non spatial" table as a points layer.
  2. Create a survey using Survey123 Connect that connects to this layer.
    1. Have the form simply be a geopoint question, perhaps with a text note to visually confirm which entry is being edited.
  3. Create a dashboard that displays a list of the records which have no geometry.
    1. You may need to use a Data Expression for that, I don't know that the geometry "field" can be accessed in the standard Dashboard filter options.
  4. Embed the form in your dashboard.
    1. Be sure to use the URL parameters "mode=edit" and "globalId={globalid}"
  5. Add filtering actions on the list to display the form only when a list selection is made.

Then let your colleague have at it!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here's how I would do it:

1. Create the "non spatial" table as a points layer.
  2. Create a survey using Survey123 Connect that connects to this layer.
    1. Have the form simply be a geopoint question, perhaps with a text note to visually confirm which entry is being edited.
  3. Create a dashboard that displays a list of the records which have no geometry.
    1. You may need to use a Data Expression for that, I don't know that the geometry "field" can be accessed in the standard Dashboard filter options.
  4. Embed the form in your dashboard.
    1. Be sure to use the URL parameters "mode=edit" and "globalId={globalid}"
  5. Add filtering actions on the list to display the form only when a list selection is made.

Then let your colleague have at it!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DavidMurray_ODWC
New Contributor III

I had NO IDEA you could do that with Survey123 forms. 

DavidMurray_ODWC_0-1663718014520.png

It took me 2 days to pick my way through setting up things as you described.  And it works!!!  😆

0 Kudos