Collect one point per second

12-13-2021 06:40 PM
SkiNail
New Contributor II

I need to develop a workflow where a user collects one point per second as they meander along a path. The reason I need points as opposed to lines is because I need the time recorded with every point so that I can join the data (via timestamp) with data from another device. It would also be nice to have the GPS metadata recorded for each point too so we can evaluate it for poor accuracy. The only workflow I can envisage is to stream a line with the relevant stream settings, then post-processing afterwards (feature vertices to points). Then somehow assigning the time based on the time recorded with the line. Though I haven't actually looked in how to do that yet and could imagine there might be time issues between the device and the time assigned to the line. This would also lack GPS metadata (but that's not essential). 

Does anybody have any ideas on workflows to achieve this?

16 Replies
NathanBartosek
New Contributor

Esri desperately needs to allow users to increase the frequency of collection on tracker. we need more detailed tracking in the forest offline and we need to be able to do it without stopping and starting streaming on a line layer every time they need to create a polygon. it's too tedious.

every gps in existence has a time based gps tracklog. esri needs to put this basic feature in field maps. 

0 Kudos
EmikoCondeso
New Contributor III

Any luck finding a solution to this issue?  I have the same need to stream collection of point features at 1 second intervals.  I plan to use tracker, but I'm worried because I can't set the frequency of point collection.

0 Kudos
SkiNail
New Contributor II

Yes, we managed to stream points in Quick Capture. I don't have the specifics at hand here, but there was a way to stream points to a point feature class in that app.

0 Kudos
EmikoCondeso
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply!  Do you know if Quick Capture can work with high accuracy GPS?

0 Kudos
SkiNail
New Contributor II

It can. That's how we were using it. Here is a link with more info.

0 Kudos
EmikoCondeso
New Contributor III

Thank you so much!  Very helpful. 

0 Kudos
somethingfishy
New Contributor

Were you able to get Quick Capture to log points at a consistent 1 second interval? I haven't been able to.

0 Kudos