Click polygon in Field Maps, prepopulate Survey 123 form

02-21-2021 11:23 PM
elpinguino
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there, I am new to Field Maps, Survey123 and Experience Builder. I have been googling and had a quick look through the boards, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

The situation: The client has to get and document permission for each property they enter. Once permission is received, every communication there after needs to be documented. To date, the client records each individual comms on paper (comms record form), then back at the office hands it to an admin staff who enters it into a spreadsheet (the comms log). The land owner/property polygon is not connected at all to the communication record forms.

Goal: Send the staff out with an app that works offline (Field Maps? Survey123? Both? Experience Builder?), where he or she clicks on the property parcel, the basic landowner details pop up, and then the staff fills out a form documenting their comms, which is linked back to the property parcel. I found this cool tool in Experience Builder that copies polygon attributes to the Survey123 form. Can this work in Field Maps or can Experience Builder be used offline? The staff will be contacting the landowner many times, so it's a hassle for them to have to fill in the landowner details each time. It is also going to be a barrier for them to fill in the Parcel ID (UID) each time in Survey123. They are bound to enter typos there.

Thank you in advance for your help. Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere on the forums.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is definitely possible with any of the methods! Survey123's @IsmaelChivite has a fantastic blog post walking through every step of it in detail.

All you need to do is to configure the Survey URL in the parcel layer's popup, and as many of the fields as you want can be pre-populated with feature attributes.

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=your-survey-id&field:field1={field_1}&field:field2={field_2}, etc.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
elpinguino

Thanks Josh. I will try this out this week, and let you know how it goes for me.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you want to use a single app, you could consider configuring a related table that stores each communication. Your data model would be to have a parent polygon feature layer (representing parcels) which is linked to the related table (representing communications). Field Maps supports adding and editing related records. The communication records would be linked to the parcels via primary/foreign keys.

Conceptually, it's similar to an inspection workflow and there is some documentation about this: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/ios/help/inspect.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_08FD3A4D011B44DF926EC29DC7B3...

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000015422

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I do both.  I have a relate and I launch via URL to 123.  Works great.

See my post here   https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

Hope that helps

elpinguino

Hi Doug, thanks for posting. I will check out the link, and let you know how I get on. Appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
elpinguino

Thanks Aaron. I'll read through that documentation and give it a go. Will let you know how I get on. Appreciate your help!

0 Kudos