Can't turn off side loaded Basemap in Field Maps (with workaround)

Jump to solution
12-17-2021 12:11 PM
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

I have sideloaded a tpkx imagery basemap to my iOs devices to the Field Maps folder.

When I create my Offline Area, I use the 'Device will use an installed tile package.' option and put the name of my basemap there.

Once I download the Offline Area in Field Maps, it displays with the side loaded basemap turned on.  However, if I select the Default basemap (the one included in the offline area from the web map), it selects/highlights the Default basemap icon, but doesn't change the map.  Only the sideloaded basemap is visible, and is not possible to turn off.

Is this a bug or by design?  If by design, then why even show the "Default" basemap along with the sideloaded one in the Basemaps window if you are forced to only use the sideloaded one?

As a workaround, since we don't always want imagery in the background, if you enter the "wrong" filename for the basemap in the Offline Area (or rename the local basemap to something else), it will warn you when you download the area that the "Local Basemap Not Available", then select "Continue"

Now, it will still see the downloaded Basemap (even though it is spelled wrong) but, you now have the option to toggle between the Default and the sideloaded basemap.

R_

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Turns out this is by design.

If you don't want to be "forced" to only use one basemap, DO NOT specify that basemap in the offline area of the map.

If no "offline basemap" is specified, it will use any/all basemaps that are currently sideloaded into the Field Maps folder as well as the default basemap of the offline map itself.

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Turns out this is by design.

If you don't want to be "forced" to only use one basemap, DO NOT specify that basemap in the offline area of the map.

If no "offline basemap" is specified, it will use any/all basemaps that are currently sideloaded into the Field Maps folder as well as the default basemap of the offline map itself.

R_

0 Kudos
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

@rzufelt I am struggling to side load a basemap from Pro to field maps.  Can you export the tpkx the same time you generate the mobile map and then ensure it is in the field maps folder or is that a separate step?

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I am using iOS, so once the tpkx is generated, I use iTunes to transfer to the iOS device and put it in the  Field Maps folder inside of Files.

Once in the folder, it should be available for any maps you load into Field Maps.

R_

0 Kudos