Select to view content in your preferred language

Can Field Maps Mobile Users Select Layers to Download?

a month ago
ODWC_GIS
Frequent Contributor

What I'd really like is the option for Mobile Users of Field Maps the option to select (or deselect) layers-of-interest to download as "Offline Areas" for Field Collection.  Is a thing like this possible?

Currently, I'm sitting at the tail end of a very long development process -but not so many notes of said process.  I know some decisions were made along the way that I'd consider... not to have been given enough forethought; but those decisions were made by folks with more authority.  Also, there are the processes that evolved from "workarounds" and the advice of various ESRI Technicians (things that may not make sense on the face of it, but trying to change it breaks important bits).  Y'know, the usual.

We have a Service each containing spatial features of a Type: Points, Lines, and Polygons.  Points are things like a building, a trap location, or a regular survey stop.  Lines are firebreaks, roads, dikes, etc.  Polygons tend to be property boundaries, fields of hay/misc., archaeological surveys, etc.  Why they are provided as such?  Esri said so, and it [at least used to] breaks otherwise.

Currently, each Service feeds it's own Map.  Points Map, Lines Map, Areas Map.  Each of which is visible and useable (able to be downloaded for in-the-boonies data collection) in Field Maps.

Every Feature has also got attached Maintenance tables.  There's a LOT of data.

Even divided up like this (which is neither user-friendly nor efficient), you wouldn't want to see all of it.  Downloading it to an offline map on your device is a chore.  

Regardless of increased Internet Availability, quite a lot of my State doesn't have a connection.  Or if a connection is available in a Field Office, it probably isn't a very good one.  (This isn't an angry commentary about our internet options.  We depend on those services!  Its just the way it is.)  Yeah, there are augmented technology solutions, but you also don't want to mess with a lot of extra stuff while driving a skid steer or a tractor.

I'm open to Suggestions for a more Appropriate way of arranging and offering layers/maps in Field Maps for Field Use.

I admit I misread one of the recent updates and thought it said users could choose to not load certain layers ...but later realized that it was in the context of layers which were incompatible with Offline Takeage on the fly.  (Yes, that's a word now.)

Is it currently possible to present a Map in Field Maps, but give the User the options to only download Map Layers of their choice for Offline Use?

Even writing all of this out helped me brainstorm a bit.  I will happily listen to any suggestions the Community may have.  🌪

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately - really only way around this is via multiple maps. a potential work around would be to set-up a arcgis python api script that generates a web map based on the layers a user specifies. That could be published as a tool for users to run, pre field work.

Another suggestion would be to minimize the amount of reference data they need to download. Publishing tiles/vector tiles can help minimize the download size. Removing layers like hybrid reference labels can also take down the size quite a bit.

ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

@ClayDonaldsonSWCA definitely identifies some of the potential outcomes of this... Potential Pandora's box

That said You could probably set up a geoprocessing tool exposed as a widget that would let users interactively select some kind of queries to identify either what layers they wanted to see or what a filtered layer they would want to see you to create a one-off web map that's offline enabled. I'm currently working on establishing an automated process for one-off offline enabled webmaps for our organization as well. Fortunately for us, so far, the procedure of requesting a new job/activity allows me to link in the automation of a new custom web map (we obviously don't want to burden users with web map creation).

But my suggested solution above warrants great caution, you don't want to end up with the sorcerer's apprentice!

From a governance standpoint you would obviously have to have some kind of policy about the lifespan of these things or some kind of feedback loop to let you know that these things aren't needed anymore.

Just shooting from the hip here. I think my idea for the he GP service is valid but you'd need to consider consequences of this kinda tool. Maybe evaluating business process/policy is a good first step...

Z