Calculated Value Expressions Getting Confused When Field Names Have Common Root

Jump to solution
05-09-2022 01:56 PM
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having issues with field calculated on Android if they are in a certain field order.

Android Samsung Galaxy S10+, Field maps 21.1.x and 22.2.0.  Not a problem on iOS that I have seen.

This took a bit to track down, but I think I found the cause of the issue.

Say I have a field named "service_date" that has a form calculation and another field called "service_date_override".  These field names have a common root... "service_date".  Another example is a field named "stationing" (a calculated value) and another field named "stationing_offset" which have a common root name of "stationing".  On Android if service_date appears after service_date_override in the form order, the valueExpression does not execute.  In fact all calculations below seem to not calculate.  Below you will see some examples of what is happening.

The order of fields as intended.  The valueExpression for the service_date field never fires (no animation either).

Original Field OrderOriginal Field Order

Switching the field order in the form, the valueExpression for the service_date field fires as expected, albeit not in the order I want or that is logical for the user given that I have an override switch control editability of the service_date field.

Reversed Field OrderReversed Field Order

Finally, to confirm that this is the issue I added another date field between the to fields that have a common field name root that had a different name all together.  The valueExpression for the new field fires as expected, but again the service_date field does not calculate.

Field_Maps_Android_Form_Calc_Issue_3.png

- Justin Reynolds, PE
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinReynolds

As a follow-up, I posted this in early adopters as well.  Esri was able to reproduce the issue; I didn't get a bug number, but it is on their radar.  

- Justin Reynolds, PE

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Woodpecker
New Contributor III

Thanks for sharing Justin. A very similar thing is happening to us but in reverse. Works on Android, doesn't pull the calculations through on iOS. 

JustinReynolds

As a follow-up, I posted this in early adopters as well.  Esri was able to reproduce the issue; I didn't get a bug number, but it is on their radar.  

- Justin Reynolds, PE
0 Kudos
MiltonSolano
Occasional Contributor

Folks,

Tested on Android and the problem is there: if the calculated fields have names with a common root (in my case COD) then the calculations are ignored. I was breaking my head wondering why my arcade code wasn't working until I found this post and changed the field name to BAND_CODES instead of CODES_BAND to change the common root with other fields (CODES_TREES, CODES_DENDO).

Wao, I was going crazy trying to figure out what was happening. I hope the folks at FieldMaps fix this inconvenient bug.

Milton

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This should be fixed with the next release planned for next week.

0 Kudos
Woodpecker
New Contributor III

It is. I can confirm our issue that was happening on iOS is resolved now. 

Not sure if you guys have done anything to the performance of field calculations when entering data in map viewer, but it feels much more responsive!