Anonymous public editing in field maps -- no Create button

Jump to solution
12-31-2020 09:41 AM
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

I have set up a map for public access and editing. When I load the map (via a link, or by searching for it) in Field Maps, the Create button (the plus button) is not visible. I also cannot edit existing features even though they are configured for public editing.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DavidLitke - Field Maps requires an ArcGIS account to edit data. If you are looking to provide a solution for crowd sourcing with Field Maps, I'd recommend looking at ArcGIS Hub and Hub Premium specifically.

With a Hub, users can sign up to your organization with a social account and capture/update data. You'll have all the features of Field Maps available to them. In addition, your services would not need to be exposed publicly where anyone could delete or modify features collected and you will know who collected/edited what data. 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

You may want to look at Survey123 and the concept of a "public survey" - essentially sharing the survey with everyone. I think it is the only Esri app that supports anonymous, offline data collection as far as I am aware.

With that said, it would be useful to understand why you'd prefer to go down this path. I wouldn't recommend anonymous, public editing of datasets, even though it is possible, as it is quite easy for data integrity to be compromised. If the reason is cost, it would be good to communicate this with your account manager to see if you can come to an agreement on price. If it is the complexity of account management (mobile or within organization), this would be valuable for us to understand within development as well.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DavidLitke - Field Maps requires an ArcGIS account to edit data. If you are looking to provide a solution for crowd sourcing with Field Maps, I'd recommend looking at ArcGIS Hub and Hub Premium specifically.

With a Hub, users can sign up to your organization with a social account and capture/update data. You'll have all the features of Field Maps available to them. In addition, your services would not need to be exposed publicly where anyone could delete or modify features collected and you will know who collected/edited what data. 

Hope this helps.

DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response, I will check out ArcGIS Hub. I wonder, since ArcGIS Online has settings for anonymous public editing of datasets, what apps/software is available to accomplish this in an offline field environment?

JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

You may want to look at Survey123 and the concept of a "public survey" - essentially sharing the survey with everyone. I think it is the only Esri app that supports anonymous, offline data collection as far as I am aware.

With that said, it would be useful to understand why you'd prefer to go down this path. I wouldn't recommend anonymous, public editing of datasets, even though it is possible, as it is quite easy for data integrity to be compromised. If the reason is cost, it would be good to communicate this with your account manager to see if you can come to an agreement on price. If it is the complexity of account management (mobile or within organization), this would be valuable for us to understand within development as well.

Thanks!

Boyang_Wang
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @JeffShaner 

Can you provide a webpage link that describes how data collection is accomplished in ArcGIS Hub? My understanding is that Hub is an application within ArcGIS Online, while data collection tools are also applications within ArcGIS Online. Does Hub has its own survey tool?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello, 

Just re-opening this issue to see if there is a potential solution a few years since the original post. Does FieldMap still not support public data collection?

0 Kudos
AdamBerenzweig
New Contributor II

It seems that it's still not supported. I just hit this as well -- I assumed that by making a layer publicly editable, it would allow anonymous editing. My use case is a trail map where I'd like visitors to be able to annotate interesting things they see and upload photos. I don't think I can use Survey123 because as far as I can tell, in order to use it with an existing hosted feature layer (my trail map layer), I need to use Survey123 Connect. But I'm a Mac user and I only use ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

Hello, I'm appreciatative of this post since I was supporting a user who ran into this problem. She had created a sample data set to collect marine organisms by beach goers. Field Maps Designer even has a QR code that you could post. Although all the permissions were set correctly, anonymous users can not edit.

I found that if I used the map in the WebAppBuilder with editing widgets and shared that to public, that users were in fact able to add points. See here for an example of a neighborhood TrickOrTreat Map.

Treat Mapper (arcgis.com)

0 Kudos