Android Device Error: The server may not be responding or we encountered an unexpected error

Jump to solution
01-27-2022 07:35 AM
mgress12
New Contributor III

Hi Field Maps Users,

We are having issues using Field Maps on Android devices to connect to our Portal.

• Enterprise 10.7.1 installation
  • Portal is configured with Windows Active Directory as the identity store
  • Field Maps App ID is registered in our Portal

Error message on Android devices after entering our Enterprise URL.

• "Connection error - The server may not be responding or we encountered an unexpected error"

We can connect using our Portal URL in Chrome and other browsers on Android without issues. No certificate errors given. We have tried manually installing certificates on devices and it doesn't make a difference.

Field Maps successfully connects to our Portal on iOS devices. iOS prompts for credentials and allows log in.

Anyone have suggestions for how to address this on Android?

Thanks!

screenshot-android-error.png

35 Replies
lah
by
New Contributor III

I'm now having an iOS user get this same error: "Connection error - The server may not be responding or we encountered an unexpected error," interestingly enough, only when disconnected from WiFi. 

On WiFi, everything works as expected.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

what is the data strength at that location

0 Kudos
lah
by
New Contributor III

Full bars. The user can log into a separate AGOL instance off Wifi, in the same area, with no issues. We are on Enterprise 10.8.1

0 Kudos
lah
by
New Contributor III

Update - iOS update to 15.5 seemed to resolve for that user. 

10 minutes later I got a call from an android v10 user with the same thing exactly as described in this thread.

Reached out to ESRI to get this escalated. 

MatthewMalone
Occasional Contributor

I thought I'd try the WiFi vs cellular test to see if that's causing the issue.  Nope.  Full WiFi strength or cellular only (we have a Verizon tower literally in the parking lot) and I still receive the connection error.  I hope this gets addressed soon as we begin the heart of the data collection season here in the Midwest. 

0 Kudos
MatthewMalone
Occasional Contributor

Quick update on my Android testing (6/1/22).  Noticed an updated Field Maps available in Google Play Store.  Downloaded and was able to sign into my AGO account without the error.  I then rebooted my phone and tested again and it worked fine.  I then signed out of the app, closed it, and then tried a third time just to make sure.  Still good!  

About Field Maps info listed as Version 22.2.1, build 1150.

EmmaSchultz1
New Contributor III

I am also having the same issue, and just installed Version 22.2.1, build 1150. I was hoping this would fix it, however, after signing out and signing in again after the reinstall I am still encountering the Connection Error. 

Very disappointing. Please advise if you encounter the same issue again. 

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Also getting this error as of this morning. Enterprise 10.8.1, iPad devices, build 22.2.1 of field maps. Interestingly Collector is also not working and giving the same error. Logging into AGO works fine, just the federated enterprise server causing problems. 

EmilyBrown1
New Contributor II

We are having the same issue Federated Environment Enterprise 10.9.1, Ipads and Iphones using IWA. AGO works fine. Did you ever find a work around?

asinha_ppc
New Contributor II

Hey! Did you find a workaround for this? We are having the same issue with Federated 10.8.1.

0 Kudos