Select to view content in your preferred language

Android app will not let me sign in - no matter what i try

06-05-2023 06:42 PM
BrianTammi
New Contributor II

I use ArcGIS for a college program and cannot sign into the android app.

I have a new phone, i have adjusted every possible setting for app permissions, changed my arcgis password and no action I take will affect the problem.

I use ArcGIS online many times per week on my laptops with no issues at all. I sign in, sign out, no problems. I need to use the android app for a project and cannot make the sign-in work.

Triple checked my credentials, deleted and re-downloaded the app from google play store, restarted my phone many times. All to no avail.

Please help !

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

A couple things come to mind to try to track down what the issue might be. It can sure be frustrating.

First, do you have a friend or classmate who also has an ESRI account that you can get to use their credentials on your Android device to see if their login is successful on your device? Similarly, do you have a friend that would allow you to install Field Maps on their mobile device (either Android or Apple) and see if your credentials work on that device. The fact that you can login successfully on your laptop indicates no issue with your credentials being correct, unless your credentials are being populated on the laptop from a cached sequence or from a password keeper application. 

The mobile device has good cellular/internet connection otherwise? Check the simple things, sometimes they end up being the culprit.

Is your account a part of a larger organization where the administrator might have inadvertently limited your mobile capabilities? Likely not since your laptop logins are successful. 

You might need a tech support call. Good luck. 

BrianTammi
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem is my device, Galaxy S20FE. My wife's phone lets me sign in no problem. I have tried every setting and turned off VPN and other security settings. I am just going to use her phone for the project I need to complete and deal with tech support later

0 Kudos
nexus6
by
New Contributor

We just started having this issue a couple of weeks ago on one of our devices.  Has there been any cause or resolution found yet?

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @BrianTammi ,

What is the message you receive when you attempt to sign in, do you have a screenshot? Are you able to use the "skip sign in" button to sign in to the sample account on the device?

Regards,
Colin
BrianTammi
New Contributor II

There is no message. The app just goes back to the main screen. If i try intentionally incorrect login credentials, it gives me the typical "wrong email or password" response. When I enter the correct credentials, it behaves how I previously described.

I can use the skip sign in button but when i try to login through the main screen, it sends me back to the initial screen again.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

A couple more things you can try, otherwise I would suggest reaching out to support as suggested by others.

What is the default Browser on your device (and what device are you using)? Try setting it to another Browser. You can also use the "Skip sign in" option > tap into the settings > triple tap on the word "Profile" at the top > tap the "Sign in" setting > Oauth > change to "In app" > try and sign in again. 

Regards,
Colin
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

The other thing I have had to do occasionally to correct some login issue, is to completely remove the user from the AGOL Organization members database, then add them back in with a new temporary password. An example of when this might be necessary is when you set up a new user with a temp password, they login and change their password but then don't record or remember what their self assigned password is and they can't (or won't) use the "Forgot Password" link. Then the user has to be dropped completely and re-added again, to the Organization with a new temp password. Maybe this could be a way to fix your issue, if you have the proper permission level or can get the Organization Administrator to do this for you.

This can be tricky if you are the only administrator in the organization. If that is the case, a tech support call to ESRI may be in order. 

BrianTammi
New Contributor II

Thanks, I will need to contact tech support regarding my device. My partner's phone lets me sign on with 0 issue so I will borrow her phone for the project and work on a long term solution for my phone.

0 Kudos