Photograph Date Stamp

07-28-2023 12:18 AM
Labels (1)
ashtons
New Contributor II

At the moment when you're out in the field using the Field Maps App, you can take a photograph, then submit along with the form.  Unfortunately there's no way of adding a date-stamp to that image to prove when the photo was taken.

We need this so that it represents as proof evidence in cases of  insurance and liability issues.

Thank you

Sean

5 Comments
CClark2

This is a great idea. I work for a local municipality, and my team and I recently launched a Field Map’s initiative to collect stormwater data for our maintenance division. We found out that some of their more tech-savvy personnel were using a third-party app that takes the EXIF data and generates a timestamp and location information printed right on the photo. Currently, they use this app to generate photos for work orders in a system separate from the Field Maps app. Unfortunately, that workflow of using the third-party app to generate the photo, and then navigating to a separate app to log the photo in that system was not tenable for the Field Map initiative, as it was a clunky process that was difficult to enforce with the less tech-oriented members of the crew.

If it was possible to set the photo capture element of Field Maps print this information directly on the photos, that would not only help our workers quickly and easily reference information about the photo, but it would also add an extra layer of assurance to our verification techniques and help us to further promote GIS adoption within our department.

fjramos

Good idea

Heidi_Whipple

I work in borough government in Alaska, and our GIS group coordinates with Public Works and Emergency Services personnel during emergencies or weather incidents. Our organization also has a need for time/date and location stamped photos when taking any pictures of road closure locations or damages to public/private infrastructure.  These help with verification of reports coming in, tracking updates through time, and potential reimbursement reporting after a disaster. 

Currently, field staff has to use a third-party app (Theodolite), and then upload those photos to Field Maps (or email them to GIS to upload). We'd prefer to use Field Maps to natively capture and display those elements to simplify the workflow in the field.

thank you!

AlfredBaldenweck

I think the information is present in the exif data, but that requires exporting it, which is its own can of worms. Adding it to the Attachment table (and being able to actually do anything with attributes in the attachment table) would be great.

DanielKarkoszka

Anything happening here ESRI?