Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps - access to Shape_Area and Shape_Length fields

08-17-2023 05:04 AM
Labels (1)
AndyBates
New Contributor III

We perform calculations on polygon data (in British National Grid) using Area and Length information. Currently in Field Maps you can not access the Shape_Area and Shape_Length fields in Arcade. Would it be possible to make these accessible, which means we could produce accurate calculation on the fly for some fields during the course of the survey. This would greatly assist in identifying at an early stage if further surveys are required (some of which could be done quite promptly rather than waiting). 

3 Comments
KenBuja

Have you looked at using the Geometry Area and Length functions to do these calculations?

JonathanBowes

Yes I can confirm I had the same issue here. The feature  in Field Maps had to be drafted and committed to the hosted feature layer FIRST before the Shape_Area value could be used for volume calcs on the fly.

Old code:

Abs(($feature.Shape__Area* ($feature["Height_depth_m"]- 0.75)))

New code calculates volume on the fly in Field Maps so sweetly now.

Abs((Area($feature, 'square-meters') * ($feature["Height_depth_m"]- 0.75)))

AndyBates

Thanks for the responses. I should have made it clearer. We are aware of Area and AreaGeodetic functions, but the issue with these is their accuracy depends on the zoom levels and is measured in Web Mercator / WGS84. We need accurate measurements in British National Grid (which our data is in), as the results where marginal effect if further work is required.