Enable the use of externally hosted feature layers in offline maps

04-04-2023 11:47 AM
Labels (2)
VictoriaTousaw
New Contributor III

We use publicly available reference data that is hosted by various government organizations in our maps to show relevant background information for our field work. Since we are not the owner of that data, we are not able to change the sync settings to allow for use offline.

The only workaround is to download the publicly available data, clip out the area that is relevant to the work being done, and upload it as a separate hosted feature layer. It is frustrating that data that is already publicly available and hosted needs to be duplicated and subsequently stored in AGOL for use in offline maps.

As these layers are not editable and for those I use, are relatively static, I do not see why they couldn't be made available offline in some capacity, even if that was only a static copy from the time the offline area was created that would need to be manually updated.

3 Comments
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

This is something that our organisation could benefit from as well. Being able to include external reference data would save on internal administration and maintenance. At present, we just say no as we can't resource that level of maintenance. 

DougBrowning

It is because Field Maps uses a check out replica to package up the data for download.  So it needs the server to keep track of all of that.  I think the issue has been they would need two different ways to grab data, one for editing and one for not, and I just do not think they have got to that yet.  I agree it is overdue.  

The team tends to say create a vector basemap with all your reference data.  But my issue with that has always been I have ref layers like roads, streams, etc that I want to be able to turn off and see underneath.  So what I have been asking for over the years is a way to have multiple vector tile layers in my map that act like regular layers that I can turn on and off.  We had a custom app based on the Esri stack that could do this a 7-8 years ago.  But every time I ask Esri for this they do not get it.   It is really a big miss IMHO since it is a perfect use of vectors - continuous basemap are actually a poor choice for vectors.  

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

@DougBrowning that use of multiple vector basemaps (I assume you mean either loaded through the map view or sideloaded to a device?) would be a great option for increased flexibility. My issue with the current solution is that a lot of our reference data in our Vector basemap is then covered by the polygon layers in our maps. I would love to be able to separate the Vector basemap even into just a "top" and "bottom" basemap where data would either display beneath all layers (as per current basemaps) or on top of all layers (ideal for roads, streams, points of interest, etc). Being able to load multiple basemaps with specific data in them that could be toggled on and off would be even better!