How do I open a markup file in ArcGIS Online

10-07-2022 09:35 AM
johnhaleyatgorhamschools
New Contributor

I am a teacher using ArcGIS Explorer and ArcGIS Online with my students.  My students have used Explorer to trace a series of features on a LIDAR map, and shared the markup file with me.  I would like to open the markup file on another device, ideally as a layer on an ArcGIS Online map.  Is this possible? Can anyone give me a step by step for how to do it?  Thank you in advance!

John

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The students can share the mark-up to your ArcGIS Online organization. Or via email. This would allow you to access the mark-up on your device. 

You could convert it by sharing to ArcGIS Online and then adding to ArcGIS Pro. Possibly convert to a kml.

I found it all to be a bit difficult the last time I did it. I recall having to have them email it to me, then I share to ArcGIS Online, and at that stage I could start working with it.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/help/markup.htm

Related note, would recommend moving to ArcGIS Field Maps. ArcGIS Explorer has retired and been merged into ArcGIS Field Maps with the other map-centric data collection apps. You should be able to sign in and use it the same way as explorer as long as the web map has been enabled for Field Maps in the web map settings.

0 Kudos
ResearchConservationNAC
New Contributor

Does this option work from an android tablet?  I have attempted to email the markup files to two separate emails but none of them received an email or the markup file.  Thank you 

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The documentation page linked is for Android. Should work? 
Could try sharing via ArcGIS Online, Android Beam or google drive?

0 Kudos