The basemap contains one or more invalid layers.

05-19-2010 06:58 AM
christophermorgan
New Contributor
This error all the sudden appeared and I can do nothing to get it solved.  "This basemap contains one or more invalid layers."  Please help.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
PeterCooper
New Contributor
Hi - I'm probably not supposed to reply to your post with a question, but did you ever figure out how to solve this problem?  I am having the same issue on a recent install.
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Please can you provide some more information about the issue you're experiencing with basemaps?

- Are these the OOTB / built-in basemaps (e.g. "Bing Maps Aerial") or are they custom basemaps you have created yourself (via Save As > New Basemap).

- If you're experiencing problems with the built-in basemaps you could try uninstalling ArcGIS Explorer and confirming that all files have been removed from C:\Program Files\Explorer\basemaps then reinstall.

- If you're experiencing problems with your own basemap I suggest opening the nmf on which your basemap is based and checking which layers are no longer working then remove them and re-add them from working datasources (your basemaps get saved in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\ArcGIS Explorer\My Basemaps).

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
PeterCooper
New Contributor
Hi Mike, thanks for replying.  The problem is with the stock basemaps.  I have not created any basemaps, at least not on purpose.  I just deleted all files in the two folders you referenced, unistalled ArcGIS, re-installed it, and when I opened the program got the same error message.  The stock basemap file list looks ok to me and the My Basemap file doesn't appear to have any layers associated with it.  It's as if I corrupted a file somehow and when I re-install the program it is re-installing with the same corrupted file. 

- Peter
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Peter,

I'm not sure why this issue is occuring but my next suggstion would be to delete your local ArcGIS Explorer layer cache. This can be done from within ArcGIS Explorer by clicking the Explorer button / pearl in the top left corner then selecting Advanced Options. See http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1200/en/options_advanced.htm for more information.

To do this outside the application, the cache goes into your temporary files under a folder called "E3". To easily find it you can type %temp%\E3 into the address bar of Windows Explorer. Then just select and delete the folders.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
LonSharp
Occasional Contributor II
I'm getting the same error message.

This is a brand new install of ArcGIS Explorer 1200, and I'm getting this message when Explorer first starts.   I've tried changing basemaps, but none are listed under the "basemap" button.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

One thing I found that make me wonder:  I went to ArcGIS Explorer Options and ran Test Connection Speed.   Everything seems fine, except "Network Route: Failed - Test site unreachable".

I'm wondering if this could be a firewall issue?
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
I'm wondering if this could be a firewall issue?

This could well be the problem, as Explorer 1200 will retrieve a list of basemaps from the server (this is so they can be maintained dynamically, without needing to install a new Explorer).

If you use a proxy server on your network, have you set up proxy details in Explorer? Go to Explorer button, ArcGIS Explorer Options, Advanced (see the help topic here for more info: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1200//en/proxy_server_settings.htm).
0 Kudos
LonSharp
Occasional Contributor II
Yes, it was a firewall issue.    Once the proper exemptions were added to our content filter, everything works fine.
0 Kudos
MarkLepofsky
New Contributor
Unfortunately, this solution has not worked for me. I have tried all of the following and still cannot avoid this message. I also cannot pass the Network Route test in the Advanced Options. I have no other computer issues with any other software.
- deleted all E3 caches
- completely uninstalled AGX, reboot, and reinstall
- removed all other ArcGIS applications (9.3.1 SP2)
- removed all remaining registry items related to ESRI products after uninstalling
- updated graphics drivers
- cleared all basemaps
- deleted all .ncfg and .nmf files
- deleted the ESRI settings.xml files
- deleted AppConfig entries
- run as administrator
- run with firewall and virus/spyware disabled
- run at work and at home, wired and wireless
- 2D and 3D modes
- different basemaps from the default list

A colleague on an identical PC with nearly the identical setup and the same network connection is not having any problems, so it is isolated to my PC. AGX 1200 did used to work for me, but I cannot figure out what has changed since whenever that was.

Thanks for any new directions to explore.
Mark
0 Kudos
MarkLepofsky
New Contributor
Note that upgrading to ArcGIS Explorer 1500 didn't solve my problem. -Mark
0 Kudos