Select to view content in your preferred language

The basemap contains one or more invalid layers.

05-19-2010 06:58 AM
christophermorgan
New Contributor
This error all the sudden appeared and I can do nothing to get it solved.  "This basemap contains one or more invalid layers."  Please help.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
KristofferKarlström
New Contributor
I have the same problem as Mark. I can't get the Basemaps to work and My computer won't pass the network route test. It have never worked for me, either in 1200 och 1500.
AGX will not work with the Windows Aero theme either, is this part of the same problem or is it some other problem?
0 Kudos
jasonelder
New Contributor
We solved the problem by giving admin rights.  However, this is not a solution our IT staff is comfortable with.
0 Kudos
MarkLepofsky
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Admin rights don't seem to be my issue, elderjason. I am logged into my machine as an administrator and set the E3.exe to run as an administrator (and also later tried using earlier version compatibility options and all other check boxes provided on the compatibility screen). I am running Win 7 64-bit. Are you doing anything different when you refer to admin rights?

One difference between my machine and my colleagues is that I have the NVIDEA Quadro 770M and he has the 1700M, a slightly newer model. Mine is not upgradeable, but I did try the most recent official and beta versions of the drivers.

I still get the same error about one or more invalid layers in my basemap if I select any of the built-in ones (which I would really like to use).
0 Kudos
ericch
by
New Contributor
Unfortunately, this solution has not worked for me. I have tried all of the following and still cannot avoid this message. I also cannot pass the Network Route test in the Advanced Options. I have no other computer issues with any other software.
- deleted all E3 caches
- completely uninstalled AGX, reboot, and reinstall
- removed all other ArcGIS applications (9.3.1 SP2)
- removed all remaining registry items related to ESRI products after uninstalling
- updated graphics drivers
- cleared all basemaps
- deleted all .ncfg and .nmf files
- deleted the ESRI settings.xml files
- deleted AppConfig entries
- run as administrator
- run with firewall and virus/spyware disabled
- run at work and at home, wired and wireless
- 2D and 3D modes
- different basemaps from the default list

A colleague on an identical PC with nearly the identical setup and the same network connection is not having any problems, so it is isolated to my PC. AGX 1200 did used to work for me, but I cannot figure out what has changed since whenever that was.

Thanks for any new directions to explore.
Mark

I too have experience this same error on a Sony Vaio, Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. I have tried most of the same workarounds, to no avail. I can successfully install and operate on Windows XP, Windows Vista, just not on my Win 7 machine. My Network Route test IS successful. This too, is brand new install. Any further ideas?
0 Kudos
BjörnScheppler
New Contributor
Same experience for me, also with Windows 7 64bit.
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Björn,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue - however I can confirm there's no specific Windows 7 64-bit problem as we've been running ArcGIS Explorer on Windows 7 64-bit  without any trouble.

The reason the basemap error is seen is a connectivity issue between your PC and the server hosting the basemaps which is often due to the firewall / proxyserver configuration.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
MarkLepofsky
New Contributor
I finally spoke with someone at ESRI and have the solution (at least for me).

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=7f6c0cb4-7a5e-4790-a7cf-9e139e6819c0&dis... and download and install MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3. That's it!

Mark
0 Kudos
PaulOlsen
New Contributor
Got mine to work, I have dual monitors and it only works on the main monitor. ArcMap doesn't care, so I usually run on the opposite monitor, but Express apparently cares, or my card does.
0 Kudos
JunWu1
by
New Contributor II
We solved the problem by giving admin rights.  However, this is not a solution our IT staff is comfortable with.

I ran into similar issue as you. The problem was that one of the admin built the pc image and somehow ArcGIS Explorer use the cache folder under that admin account for cache folder for everyone. When a non-admin user were not able to write to cache folder to a admin account, ArcGIS Explorer complains with a confusing message.

Solution:

1) Go to ArcGIS Explorer Options which is under the upper-left globe
2) Select Advanced
3) change the cache folder to go to the non-admin user folder

Good luck.
0 Kudos
DustinDunnill
Occasional Contributor
Peter,

I'm not sure why this issue is occuring but my next suggstion would be to delete your local ArcGIS Explorer layer cache. This can be done from within ArcGIS Explorer by clicking the Explorer button / pearl in the top left corner then selecting Advanced Options. See http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1200/en/options_advanced.htm for more information.

To do this outside the application, the cache goes into your temporary files under a folder called "E3". To easily find it you can type %temp%\E3 into the address bar of Windows Explorer. Then just select and delete the folders.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Using your "Clearing Cache out side the application method"  worked for the  "No Basemaps in AGX Build 1750" problem for us.

Thank you and FYI to all having similar issues, you might want to try this.
0 Kudos