KML to Layer: Attribution Loss?

08-13-2013 03:31 PM
Occasional Contributor III
Hello!  I have downloaded a KMZ, and when I open it using the KML to Layer tool, I am missing attributes.  If I load the same KMZ to Google Earth, the attributes are there.  How can I troubleshoot this?  The KMZ is here: http://apps.nevadadot.com/trina/

Thank you!

ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 SP5
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
You could try using ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 to share the KML as a layer package.

And example of what ArcGIS Explorer Desktop creates is here  http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=0e31dbc65488482eafa4ace9b0f23faf
0 Kudos
Thanks for the response!  I am familiar with ArcGIS Explorer Desktop, but it does not offer the functionality I need, so I would like to find an ArcMap solution.  ArcGIS Explorer Desktop can read the KML exactly as Google Earth does--all attribution is present.  But why can't ArcMap read it, and is there a solution?  I will use ArcGIS Explorer as a middle step if required, but hope to find an alternative.  Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Following up on the package suggestion: The ArcGIS Explorer Layer Package, when opened in ArcMap, also shows attribute loss.  The attribution which both Google Earth and ArcGIS Explorer can display in their pop-ups is not present in the attribute table when imported into ArcMap.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
For the data created by ArcGIS Explorer the attributes are there, but condensed into one string in the popup field, so not ideal if you are after the attributes by field.
0 Kudos
That's what I thought at first also, but the PopUp field only contains some information--in my case, the info related to how the popup appears (font, etc), but does not contain the attributes.  I have tested the result of all three "Share" options in ArcGIS Explorer, with two different results, neither of which contain the full set of attributes.

If the attributes were all there and condensed into one string, I could export them to a table and parse, but they aren't all there.
0 Kudos