How can you publish ArcGIS Explorer Desktop Presentations?

11-08-2011 09:36 PM
McCainMcMurray
New Contributor
Is there any way to publish a ArcGIS Explorer Desktop Presentation to a web address? This can be easily accomplished using ArcGIS Explorer Online, but unfortunately that program doesn't display the same types of data. Would something like ArcGIS Server be able to do accomplish this? Any help would be much appreciated.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
You have to use ArcGIS Explorer Desktop to play the presentation.  The presentation is stored in the ArcGIS Explorer Map (NMF).  If the data used to create the map is also accessible to the user, you can just share the NMF with another.  They open the NMF in ArcGIS Explorer and play the presentation.

Here is an example:  http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=79d977725651430fbe791ac8d5d46c88

Mark
0 Kudos
McCainMcMurray
New Contributor
Thanks for your help. I understand the sharing of .nmf files. That is a workable solution for now.  The problem, as I see it, is that if you are trying to make your presentation from ArcGIS Explorer Desktop accessible and easy-to-use by large groups of people, including those with zero GIS experience, then requiring them to download the program and the file, open the file, and open the presentation is going to present problems. The ideal solution would be a presentation accessible to anyone via a web address. Maybe this is an unrealistic request, but do you think it is possible with custom development/coding and ArcGIS Server?

An example would be coding a pop-up capable of displaying html and serving these data using ArcGIS Server with a custom UI. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
At the moment the only way to provide the ArcGIS Explorer desktop presentation, without installing GIS software, would be to capture a video of it and share the video.
0 Kudos
McCainMcMurray
New Contributor
Thanks for your help. I will work on finding a different solution.
0 Kudos