"Find" tool is having a bad week.

04-05-2011 10:27 AM
ScottFerguson3
New Contributor II
The "Find" tool has a mind of it's own.  One day it decides to do it's job, the next day it refuses to work.  Anyone have this problem?  I was doing basic searches on city names...

Is there a caching issue that I don't know about?  I'm using the "Find" tool in 3D mode with Bing Maps Road as the basemap.  I did switch back and forth to 2D mode which then kick-started the "Find" tool into finding the correct location.  Otherwise I get "no results found" when searching on "Chicago, IL".
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CountyAppraiser
New Contributor II
I am having the same problem, when I try to "Find" an attribute which I know exsists in the table, it responds quickly with a "No objects found"...... what the heck is going on.  I looked at my indexing settings, ect. can not figure it out..
0 Kudos
LarsKjærstad
New Contributor
Is it possible to use our own placenamedb and configure our own "Find service" on our intranet, instead of the online service?
0 Kudos
EdanCain
New Contributor II
Larskj,
the application configuration can be used to point at your own server hosted geocoding / reverse geocoding, place name and routing services.

dreith,
the find dialog does not work with attribute data for layers added to the map or tables that you add. This is custom code that you will need to write. There are some addins available from the resource center that you could use to perform this functionality for you.

seferg,
the only caching that is happening is that of the 'Found' placenames that you have previously searched on. Its functionality is really only to help fill in the text for you should you be re-searching for a place previously searched for. It still requires a query to be sent to the server.
I can't repro your issue but will perform some more tests with some other machines. Sorry that you are experiencing issues with it.

Edan
0 Kudos