Select to view content in your preferred language

"Find" function not working

02-16-2014 09:44 AM
InmanHartsfield
New Contributor
Hello all. I recently began having issues with the "Find" function of Explorer. Whenever I type in a city, place, address, etc., and then click on the looking glass symbol, nothing happens. No results are returned and the looking glass symbol turns gray such that you can't even click on it to get it to search again. I have attached a screen shot that shows what this looks like. The looking glass symbol is circled in red.

I am not utilizing the latest version, but rather, build 1750 of ArcGIS Explorer for desktop. Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem I am experiencing. Thanks in advance for any and all help, thoughts, comments or suggestions you may have in this regard!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31494[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
18 Replies
JustinP
New Contributor
I haven't done anything to the software, just installed it.   I haven't set it to another configuration, was there something on the install I didn't do?

When I click the drop arrow, I don't see any other choices.
0 Kudos
EllenBryson2
Occasional Contributor
Mark,

Thanks for your replies to the Find issue in AGX 1750.  I hope ESRI can help us with this more than simply suggesting we upgrade to 2500.

We have about 40 project managers using this in field sites across PA and MD. Upgrading to 2500 has substantial costs. We've invested resources in training and tool development for AGX, including showing people how to add lat/long points and find addresses. I'm disturbed that the Find addresses functionality, a basic GIS function, has suddenly disappeared from a tool that we've invested in and that is not really that old.

Can ESRI solve this issue without requiring us to upgrade? Can you perhaps put a pointer on your server at the location of the depracated service so that users of AGX 1750 get automatically rerouted to the new geolocator?

Thank you.

Ellen
The ArcGIS online geocoding service that ArcGIS Explorer 1750 Find uses was deprecated by ArcGIS online.  Find for places and addresses will no longer work in ArcGIS Explorer 1750. 

ArcGIS Explorer desktop 2500 uses a new ArcGIS online service that was created to replace the prior service, and it should be working. 

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Ellen,

You can use this application configuration with ArcGIS Explorer 1750.  In the configuration I have pointed find to the new geocode.arcgis.com service.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=18dd446504314a918dfd8b3cf1dced47

Mark
0 Kudos
EllenBryson2
Occasional Contributor
Mark

Thanks for your response and the new configuration. The new Find function seems a bit more powerful and faster and the configuration option is really nice. And we are now able to continue to use ArcGIS Explorer 1750 with a working Find function.

I also received some help from Jo Fraley, another ESRI staff person, which might help others. It was helpful for me because I needed to create the configuration and then share it with others in our organization.

Create your own custom configuration which points to the new online geocoding service. To create a custom configuration, use the tool called ApplicationConfigurationManager.exe, in the 'bin' install folder for ArcGIS Explorer Desktop. Launch it, then in configuration, click on "Custom Resources" and scroll down and click on "Choose Services".  This will bring up a dialog where you can add the new service. The new service that you will add in is http://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/services/World/GeocodeServer. This will create a new configuration file. Then launch ArcGIS Explorer 1750 and on the Start circle select the option to Set Application Configuration.

To share this with others users of 1750, email them the custom configuration file, direct them how to set it in ArcGIS Explorer, and then be sure to save it as their Default Map.

Thanks again Mark.

~Ellen

Ellen,

You can use this application configuration with ArcGIS Explorer 1750.  In the configuration I have pointed find to the new geocode.arcgis.com service.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=18dd446504314a918dfd8b3cf1dced47

Mark
0 Kudos
JeffSchloss
New Contributor III
Like Ellen, I too support an AGSE 1750 user community and was glad to see Mark's configuration file.  When I test the find tool with valid addresses using a custom config pointing to http://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/services/World/GeocodeServer/, it can not find any addresses I search for.  If I'm lucky, it will find the city in the correct state I asked for.  We are using the same world geocoder in ArcMap 10.0.5 with the exact same address and it works great.  I am reaching out for help here.  Google Earth is looking pretty good again, but I hate the notion of promoting it since all of our Esri desktop clients (Map, Reader, Explorer) can use our enterprise SDE and image services but GE cannot, and I hate to set our investment in authoritative data aside for one simple function.
0 Kudos
EllenBryson2
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the vote on ArcGIS Explorer. Let's hope ESRI continues to support this great resource.

I've discovered a couple tips that help with the new Find geocoder. When you first start typing your address in the Find area, prompts appear below the box and the parameter it wants next is bolded. Here's what it wants, in order: Address, Neighborhood, City, Subregion, Region, Postal, PostalExt, CountyCode.

Here's the tip. If you don't have one of the parameters it wants, enter a comma to indicate that you don't have that. See attached for how I'd enter an address. I didn't have a neighborhood, I entered a comma, and now City is bolded, and I can type in my city location.

I still cant find some addresses I know I should be able to find (1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, for example!). But following above tip seems to make the geocoder more reliable.

Hope this helps you.

~Ellen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34212[/ATTACH]

Like Ellen, I too support an AGSE 1750 user community and was glad to see Mark's configuration file.  When I test the find tool with valid addresses using a custom config pointing to http://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/services/World/GeocodeServer/, it can not find any addresses I search for.  If I'm lucky, it will find the city in the correct state I asked for.  We are using the same world geocoder in ArcMap 10.0.5 with the exact same address and it works great.  I am reaching out for help here.  Google Earth is looking pretty good again, but I hate the notion of promoting it since all of our Esri desktop clients (Map, Reader, Explorer) can use our enterprise SDE and image services but GE cannot, and I hate to set our investment in authoritative data aside for one simple function.
0 Kudos
JeffSchloss
New Contributor III
Thanks Ellen.  The format is quite picky and not required via ArcMap but seems to work.  The issue I am still facing is that within build 1750 I do not get prompted for the format as I type.  If I use build 2500 with the service URL that does not include "rest", I see the prompts, but not in 1750.  I am running build 1750 on Windows 7 and curious to know how it is you are seeing the prompts, because without them a user would have no clue what format the service wants, which makes the service pretty useless.
0 Kudos
EllenBryson2
Occasional Contributor
Agree it's picky. And disturbing that ESRI would deprecate a service that many are still relying on.

I am able to get the prompts in 1750 so perhaps you can too. Here's a snapshot I just took. I'm on a Windows 7 machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34259[/ATTACH]

I have set both a custom locator and a custom find. Both point to http://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/services/World/GeocodeServer

Here's my configuration file Services tab.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34258[/ATTACH]

Try that and let us know if that works?

~Ellen

Thanks Ellen.  The format is quite picky and not required via ArcMap but seems to work.  The issue I am still facing is that within build 1750 I do not get prompted for the format as I type.  If I use build 2500 with the service URL that does not include "rest", I see the prompts, but not in 1750.  I am running build 1750 on Windows 7 and curious to know how it is you are seeing the prompts, because without them a user would have no clue what format the service wants, which makes the service pretty useless.
0 Kudos
JeffSchloss
New Contributor III
Your custom services dialog looks exactly like mine yet I don't get the prompts for the format.
0 Kudos