Select to view content in your preferred language

Geocoding Issues in Build 2500

02-25-2013 08:21 AM
JohnStreeb
Occasional Contributor
Hello all,
I know a number of people have mentioned that they have been having issues with the geocoding functionality in the new ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 when trying to use your own geocoders (either .loc file or a published geocoding service).  What I was wondering was if anyone has run across any solutions for these issues.

Problems I have experienced:

1) When I go into the ArcGIS Explorer Options > Resources tab > Manage Locators Option > Add... button and try and add my own published geocoding service or .loc file I am able to add it, but as soon as I do it crashes ArcExplorer.

2) When I do use my own geocoder (either a .loc file, or a published geocoding service added via the options dialog or set through a configuration file) I can type in a valid address, but no matter what I type in it returns the message "No Results Found".  I have tried the exact same address in ArcMap, via an ArcObjects 3rd party app, via my own javascript web app, and via the REST interface's "Find Address Candidates" interface.  Every way I try it the same results are returned, some even with a 100 percent score.  Except, in ArcExplorer it says it isn't able to find any results.

To note, everything I am using (geolocators, geocoding services, ArcMap/server for testing, etc... ) all of it is currently ArcGIS v10, if that makes a difference. 

If anyone has any ideas, recommendations, suggestions, etc... I am willing to give it a try.  I am trying to deploy ArcExplorer throughout my organization to provide some capabilities that aren't available currently with our internal web apps, but people won't use it until they are able to search for an address. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

John Streeb
GIS Coordinator
Nacogdoches County, TX
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SveinungRaheim
Occasional Contributor
In the general build 2500 thread, I have asked some similar questions, and ESRI has replied. As far as I understand, this is a bug and they will fix it.
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/61091-ArcGIS-Explorer-2500-discussion/page3
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia
Occasional Contributor II
In the general build 2500 thread, I have asked some similar questions, and ESRI has replied. As far as I understand, this is a bug and they will fix it.
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/61091-ArcGIS-Explorer-2500-discussion/page3

What are the details for the geocoding bug Esri is fixing with 2500?

I have a locator which returns results, places push-pins correctly, but all results zoom to the ocean; when zooming to a result, the map goes to the wrong place.  Any suggestions?  Is this a problem with 2500?  Apparently, the ArcGIS Online location service works fine, but our custom locator services does not.  Actually, it is an Esri location service from the Esri Data Appliance.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
What are the details for the geocoding bug Esri is fixing with 2500?

I have a locator which returns results, places push-pins correctly, but all results zoom to the ocean; when zooming to a result, the map goes to the wrong place.  Any suggestions?  Is this a problem with 2500?  Apparently, the ArcGIS Online location service works fine, but our custom locator services does not.  Actually, it is an Esri location service from the Esri Data Appliance.  Thanks!

A release with a fix for geocode results zooming to the wrong location is available.  It is a full setup ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2505.
http://gisupdates.esri.com/ArcGISExplorer/Build2505/ArcGISExplorerDownload.exe

In addition to the geocode fix:
The setup will install on Windows 8.1 and measure results and note graphics will pin more precisely to the surface in 3D.

The download pages will reflect this information soon, but you heard it here first.

-Mark
0 Kudos