"Find" function not working

02-16-2014 09:44 AM
InmanHartsfield
New Contributor
Hello all. I recently began having issues with the "Find" function of Explorer. Whenever I type in a city, place, address, etc., and then click on the looking glass symbol, nothing happens. No results are returned and the looking glass symbol turns gray such that you can't even click on it to get it to search again. I have attached a screen shot that shows what this looks like. The looking glass symbol is circled in red.

I am not utilizing the latest version, but rather, build 1750 of ArcGIS Explorer for desktop. Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem I am experiencing. Thanks in advance for any and all help, thoughts, comments or suggestions you may have in this regard!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31494[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
18 Replies
RandallUtsch
New Contributor
Several users in my organization found this to be malfunctioning as well. We have been using build 1750, but we tested build 2500 on a few machines and that seemed to resolve the problem.

Randy
0 Kudos
EllenBryson2
Occasional Contributor
I'm sorry to report that it's not working for me either (using build 1750 and not quite ready to upgrade to 2500). I tried both addresses and lat/long pairs. No response. The magnifiying glass goes gray but no response. My computer doesn't lock up, and I can retype values in the search box, but the search will not work.

ESRI? Any help? Without the Find function, we're lost... Thanks!

Several users in my organization found this to be malfunctioning as well. We have been using build 1750, but we tested build 2500 on a few machines and that seemed to resolve the problem.

Randy
0 Kudos
JustinP
New Contributor
I'm also experiencing the same problem (build 2500).

Is the problem of the find function not working related to now having to have Microsoft Bing Maps Key?
I don't currently have one, does anyone having this issue have one and still having the problem?

If the find function was based on the Bing maps engine and there is no longer a complementary use as of December 2013, maybe this is why the Find function does work?
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
The ArcGIS online geocoding service that ArcGIS Explorer 1750 Find uses was deprecated by ArcGIS online.  Find for places and addresses will no longer work in ArcGIS Explorer 1750. 

ArcGIS Explorer desktop 2500 uses a new ArcGIS online service that was created to replace the prior service, and it should be working. 

Mark
0 Kudos
EllenBryson2
Occasional Contributor
We are not ready to upgrade to 2500, especially since I see so many bugs reported. Finding addresses is a key feature of AGX 1750 and having ESRI remove it abruptly and seemingly without concern is disturbing. Is there a work-around?

~Ellen
0 Kudos
JustinP
New Contributor

ArcGIS Explorer desktop 2500 uses a new ArcGIS online service that was created to replace the prior service, and it should be working. 

I have a fresh install of 2500 and the find function does not work.   Is there something I'm missing for this not to be working?
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
ArcGIS Explorer 2500 uses the "geocode.arcgis.com" service.

This URL is the search for "redlands"

http://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World/GeocodeServer/findAddressCandidates?Address=red...

Does it return the JSON when you click the link?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31741[/ATTACH]

Could there be something on your network that is blocking access to this service?

Mark
0 Kudos
JustinP
New Contributor
It returns the same code as you posted, is that what its supposed to do?
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, if you are seeing the response in the browser it means that you do have access to the service that ArcGIS Explorer Desktop uses for the Find functionality.

It is possible to use an application configuration and specify a different geocoding service to use for find, you aren't using an application configuration are you?

It is also possible to set a local geocoding file. 
If you click on the drop arrow next to find, do you see any other choices?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31780[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos