'zoom to extent action' not working and jumping all around map

12-01-2022 10:25 AM
Labels (1)
Brooke_Hodge
New Contributor

I created an Experience where I want to have multiple (6) maps all have a linked extent. The navigation at the top of my page moves through the different maps, but I want the user to be able to zoom in and pan around on the map, then click to a different map and see the exact same zoom/extent as the previous map. This was possible on the old 'Story Map Series Application' tab option where all maps are linked. In experience builder it should be possible using the 'Actions' functionality and using the 'Zoom to Extent', but when I do that it sometimes works, but also sometimes it doesn't and the maps starts jumping all around without the user doing anything (usually zooming out more and more). It's to the point it's unusable. I also noticed that in the old story map series app, movement between maps is seamless, whereas, in experience  builder, when you change to the next map, it starts at it's original extent, then eventually zooms to the other maps extent (when it's actually working). There is quite a bit of lag to it. Is there a bug or issue with the zoom to functionality acting up? Is there a way to rectify this?

I'll also note, I tried re-building this in the new story maps (where linked map extents don't seem possible) and other applications, but noting is giving me what I want. Most other options ESRI has is limited to just comparing 2 maps.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
NBC
by
New Contributor III

Hi Brooke,

One Experience I recently created in AGOL  started going all haywire on me after the latest AGOL update.  It sounds like similar behaviour to what you're describing.  Similar situation - 7 or 8 maps in different pages set up to have a linked extent.  I was able to fix the problem by treating one of the maps as the main one from which every other map points its trigger to - rather than having all the maps point their triggers to all the maps.  Just guessing but would say this reduced the load on the browser.

Hope that helps

Andrew

0 Kudos
Goldendelicious
New Contributor II

Andrew - can you explain your solution a bit better? I'm not following how it is possible to set up my map pages as the OP describes by pointing the triggers to only one map?

0 Kudos
Goldendelicious
New Contributor II

This is happening to me as well as I'm trying to rebuild my Story Map Series since that application is now depreciated. I've also noticed that the default extent of my webmaps and the default extent of that same map inside my Experience do not match. It is quite obvious as the Experience one zooms out beyond the limit of viewing the points in the map.

0 Kudos
NBC
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

Here's a basic example:

Take 5 maps in 5 separate map widgets, named map 1-5. These you want to link so the zoom extent is the same for all.

Map 1 could be your main map, say the primary one users interact with or land on first, though its not important.

Step 1. Add 4 'zoom to extent' triggers onto Map 1 pointing to maps 2,3,4 & 5

Step 3. Add 1 'zoom to extent' trigger onto Map 2 pointing to map 1

Step 4. Add 1 'zoom to extent' trigger onto Map 3 pointing to map 1

Step 5. Add 1 'zoom to extent' trigger onto Map 4 pointing to map 1

Step 6. Add 1 'zoom to extent' trigger onto Map 5 pointing to map 1

That's it...

Note though that if the map frame dimensions are different between any 2 of the map widgets you could still have issues.

Good luck

Andrew

Goldendelicious
New Contributor II

Thanks for the explanation - it does appear to be a more efficient method to link extent zooms as you describe, but unfortunately it hasn't helped. I typically use Firefox, but I've reproduced it in Chrome and Edge as well.

0 Kudos