Select to view content in your preferred language

Using Multiple DataSources in a FieldSelector Widget

10-31-2023 10:13 AM
JeremyKolassa
New Contributor II

I have been tasked with creating a custom search widget for a client inside Experience Builder. This widget will have to search multiple data sources simultanenously, and moreover, search multiple fields within each data source, then spit out an autocomplete/typeahead list a user can select from.

In order to make this as easy to configure as possible for our users, I am using the DataSourceSelector widget in settings, and using the FieldSelector widget to let them select what fields for which data source the widget should search. However, I'm running into a UI issue, where after I click on the dropdown for the data sources, and select a different one, the name in the dropdown does not update, and it only shows the fields (including selected ones) from the first data source. Weirdly, though, if I hit "save" (just for a test), it actually takes the selected fields for the first data source and applies them to the other data source I selected (but which doesn't appear in the UI.)

Below is the code I am using to put the FieldSelector into the settings panel. I am not sure if I am using it incorrectly -- the documentation for this widget is essentially non-existent, and the Storybook page is incomplete. My understanding is that the FieldSelector can handle multiple data sources at once, but am I using the right properties -- correctly -- to make that work? Should I be using one Field Selector widget per data source?

<SettingSection key="data">
  <SettingRow><h4>Data Source</h4></SettingRow>
  <SettingRow>
	<DataSourceSelector 
		isMultiple
		mustUseDataSource
		types={supportedTypes} 
		onChange={onDataSourceChange} 
		useDataSources={props.useDataSources} 
		widgetId={props.id} />
  </SettingRow>
  <SettingRow><h6>Search Fields</h6></SettingRow>
  <SettingRow>
	<FieldSelector 
		isMultiple={true} 
		useDropdown={true} 
		useMultiDropdownBottomTools={true}
		useDataSources={props.useDataSources} 
		onChange={onSearchFieldsChange} 
		widgetId={props.id}
		selectedFields={props.config.fields || Immutable([])} 
         />
  </SettingRow>
</SettingSection>

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeremyKolassa
New Contributor II

Further testing of this has indicated the problem is slightly different from what I described above. 

What is actually happening is that every single time I select a different data source, and then select a field on that data source, it immediately switches back to the first data source and its fields inside the dropdown. Now, if I click nothing else except "Save," it does properly add the right fields to the right data source. However, I cannot add any more fields to that specific data source, as I can only select the first data source afterwards.

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Based on your requirements, I think all of that can be done in the OOTB Search Widget.

https://developers.arcgis.com/experience-builder/guide/search-widget/

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos