Select to view content in your preferred language

Upgrading Node.js in Developer Edition of Experience Builder

04-14-2023 03:47 PM
USLEOperations
New Contributor III

I have EB 1.11 Developer Edition installed on my desktop and a few experience webapps built.   At the time I installed EB 1.11 I had Node.js 16.13.2 / NPM 8.1.2 installed.   

With the latest version of Node.js at 18.16.0 and NPM at 9.5.1, which I want to upgrade to, what do I need to do in my existing EB 1.11 installation to use it?  Do I need to rerun 'npm ci' in the \server and \client directories?

I am running Windows 10.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
FredericPoliart_EsriAU
Occasional Contributor II

I am doing the exact same thing: installing Experience Builder 1.11 in c:\ArcGISExperienceBuilder1.11\ folder  (while keeping older version in the old folder)

I had no problems with the /server> npm ci  , then >npm start , which runs on port :3001 but I am having issues with the \client\ 

Try the following:
* in /client/ folder, try npm update     < very slow! be patient,
* if it fails, in /client/ folder, delete the file package-lock.json  
* in /client/ folder, re-run npm ci  (clean install)

Open the file package.json and inspect the file;  it shows you all the versions required for ExB 1.11 

If you get error  ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\ArcGISExperienceBuilder1.11\client\package.json 
(restore it from the installatipn.zip file if needed)

re-run client\ npm ci   then npm start
re-run server\npm ci    then npm start

0 Kudos
WeiYing1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @USLEOperations ,

Yes, ExB dev edition 1.11 supports working with Node.js 14+. And we recommended to use 16.
If you have installed dev 1.11 earlier, you don't have to rerun "npm ci" again on the same build. 
If you want to sync up upgrade to latest node version, yes you can rerun "npm ci" under both client and server directories. 

Thanks,
Wei

0 Kudos
FredericPoliart_EsriAU
Occasional Contributor II

Worth a try too:

npm uninstall node-sass
(you may need to delete some folders manually)

npm i -D sass

npm i

ref:  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70514785/npm-install-failed-at-node-sass-command-failed

0 Kudos