StoryMap jumping to embed Experience Builder

Jump to solution
06-27-2023 11:44 AM
Labels (1)
CathyPoppenwimer
New Contributor

Hi all, I’m having issues in my StoryMaps on ArcGIS Online where it will jump to an embed Experience Builder (Interactive Map) when you scroll close to it. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Check it out at - https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/9cf0bc2f4c1b45c2a586d3474362ce36. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CathyPoppenwimer
New Contributor

Hello,

I removed the Layer widget from the Widget Controller on the top right. Now, the StoryMap doesn't jump. I added the Map Layers widget on top of the Map layout. Is there a way to add a band of color to the top of the Map Layers widget so that it looks the same as the legend?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Cathy Poppenwimer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @CathyPoppenwimer -- I tested this by embedding your Experience in a plain web page and I see the same behavior, so this does not seem like an issue caused by the StoryMap. The Experience appears to be stealing focus of the entire web page for some reason. I have seen this before, but I'm not sure of the reason or if there is a workaround.

Here's the test I created and when you load the page you can see the same behavior you described where the page jumps down to the embedded Experience. Embedded EXB in plain web page (codepen.io)

I'm moving this post to the EXB questions board in hopes that someone there can help.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@OwenGeo Thanks, Owen.

@CathyPoppenwimer Weird thing is that I cannot reproduce it in the StoryMaps app - the app always stays on top; however, I can reproduce the issue with the code sample provided by Owen.

It seems like the Experience Builder app has configured a Widget Controller that with another widget (Map Layers) open by default. The opened widget grabbed focus which could cause this. We will take a look.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@TonghuiMing -- Thanks for looking into this.

Media content in a story is loaded progressively. Since the EXB is a good ways into the story, it isn't loaded right away. To repro you need to scroll down somewhat slowly into the story. When the EXB loads, that's when the page will jump (but at a scrolling speed typical of normal reading the page will jump well before you see the EXB).

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
CathyPoppenwimer
New Contributor

Hello,

I removed the Layer widget from the Widget Controller on the top right. Now, the StoryMap doesn't jump. I added the Map Layers widget on top of the Map layout. Is there a way to add a band of color to the top of the Map Layers widget so that it looks the same as the legend?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Cathy Poppenwimer

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

The color band comes from the Widget Controller so probably not, at this moment. Or you may try using a blank colored area using Text or other widgets to create similar UI.

0 Kudos