Splash Widget using Steps Window

Jump to solution
08-16-2023 07:43 AM
Labels (1)
CMcDonald
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

is it possible to add the "Steps" Window as a Splash Screen?

CMcDonald_0-1692196688341.png

I can add other Windows but the Steps type will not allow? It will only sit as Anchored.

CMcDonald_1-1692196829139.png

I would like to create step by step instructions on a splash screen for a public consultation and the other single windows I feel would end up far too large on screen.

Or is there a way around this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasCoughlin
Esri Contributor

Hi @CMcDonald, it is possible to set a Steps window as a Splash window.

The Steps window is the only kind of window that's added as an Anchored window, and Anchored windows can't be Splash windows. 

So, you need to switch the steps window to Fixed in its settings panel on the right of the builder.

ThomasCoughlin_0-1692212354349.png

Once you do that, the Set as splash button appears.

ThomasCoughlin_1-1692212406816.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ThomasCoughlin
Esri Contributor

Hi @CMcDonald, it is possible to set a Steps window as a Splash window.

The Steps window is the only kind of window that's added as an Anchored window, and Anchored windows can't be Splash windows. 

So, you need to switch the steps window to Fixed in its settings panel on the right of the builder.

ThomasCoughlin_0-1692212354349.png

Once you do that, the Set as splash button appears.

ThomasCoughlin_1-1692212406816.png

0 Kudos
ThomasCoughlin
Esri Contributor

@CMcDonald Also, you can control how large any window appears on screen by dragging the edges to resize the frame, or by entering a specific size in the widget's settings.

ThomasCoughlin_2-1692212867959.png

If you're interested, Rice University made a Mars rover tracking app that has a step-by-step instruction window for the Measure tool. It's made out of a blank window with image, section, views navigation, and text widgets. I wrote about how to re-create a similar window here

0 Kudos
CMcDonald

Hi @ThomasCoughlin Thank you, that's perfect 🙂 

I just need to figure out now how to "OK" the screen in order to close the splash.  I have added a Button in order to dismiss the window but assume I then need to set "Set link" back to URL?  Apologies, going off topic here.

CMcDonald_0-1692261052640.png

This setting 'seems' to work...

CMcDonald_1-1692261553097.png

0 Kudos
ThomasCoughlin
Esri Contributor

@CMcDonald You are correct with the second screenshot. The best practice is to add a button, set the link to a page, then select Current page. That way, the user goes to whatever page is currently open and nothing has to reload.

ThomasCoughlin_0-1692282659246.png

0 Kudos
CMcDonald

That's great, thankyou @ThomasCoughlin 

0 Kudos