Select to view content in your preferred language

Setting a different Default Basemap for a Second instance of the Same map data

08-18-2023 08:56 PM
Anthony_R_McKay
New Contributor III

On the Water Bore page I'm working on, I want to be able to select a bore location from the main map widget and on an inset map widget, automatically zoom to that bore location overlaid onto an aerial basemap.

Both maps widgets contain the same Map data, which has an NZ topographic basemap.

Everything is working as I want it  - except that I can't set the inset map widget to default to the aerial basemap  - it defaults to NZ topographic and I have to select aerial basemap with a basemap widget.

Is it possible to select a different default basemap for the same map in different map widgets?

Some clarification - I'd like the user to be able to do what they like with the big map (zoom in and out, choose their own basemap etc.) - but when they select a specific bore - I'd like them to immediately see a zoomed-in aerial view of the bore.

4 Replies
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

I do not think it is possible to select different default base map for the same map in different map widgets. Would it be possible to create a copy of the original map and save it as a new item? Then change the base map in that map? So that your two map widgets would show two different maps (that only differ because they have different base maps).

0 Kudos
AnthonyMcKay
New Contributor II

My short-term fix is a single-option basemap widget.

Capture.JPG

If I were to have a Map 'A' (Topo Basemap ) in widget '1' and a Map 'B' (Aerial Basemap) in widget '2' is it possible to select an object in Map A and zoom to the object (or a duplicate with the same UID) in Map B?

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Yes it is possible. the configuration should look something like this:

AndreasHall_1-1692604742302.png

AnthonyMcKay
New Contributor II

Easier than that - I opened up the map on ArcGIS On-Line and changed the base map - and saved the map as a new map.

Then I just added the new map as a data source and connected it to 'Map Widget 2' - I didn't even have to remove the connection to the original map.

That was it - all done and working as I wanted to - thank you Andreas Hall