Select to view content in your preferred language

Select Widget selecting layers that are turned off

06-11-2024 03:51 PM
JeremyDew
New Contributor III

Not sure if it's just me missing a setting somewhere, but does the select widget always select all layers regardless of layer visibility? Does anyone else see this same behavior?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PTW
by
New Contributor III

The user is able to change the following settings however I am not seeing an option to make layers select-able or non-select-able.

Can you provide more information about how you have assembled your Web Experience?

PTW_0-1718147481310.png

0 Kudos
JeremyDew
New Contributor III

I'm using the Select Widget, not the map Select tool. The widget allows you to choose which layers are selectable, however if a layer is turned off in the map layers widget they are still being selected. 

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Users can make a layer un-selectable/selectable using the checkboxes in the Select Widget.

JeffreyThompson2_0-1718195420270.png

It's important to keep in mind that layers can't really be removed from a map in Experience Builder (unless they were added with the Add Data Widget). They can just be turned invisible. 

I added an Idea based on this question.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-ideas/option-in-select-widget-to-match-dynam...

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
JeremyDew
New Contributor III

Thanks Jeffrey. I guess what I'm seeing is, let's say you turn off "Blue Stripe" in your layer list but it is still chosen as a selectable layer in the Select tool. If you draw a select rectangle and there happens to be "Blue Stripe" features in the area you draw to select, those features will still get selected. Even though the layer has been turned off in the layers list. Hope that makes sense. But users will just have to be conscious of that I suppose. I like the enhancement idea.

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, the user can control whether or not a layer is selectable with the checkboxes in the Select Widget. Layer visibility is irrelevant to whether or not it is selectable.

The designer can also control what layers are selectable in the Select Widget, but layers removed by the designer can never be selected by the end user.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas