Open all widgets in a single fixed panel / Define a specific UI location where widgets launch

Jump to solution
03-09-2022 12:17 PM
Labels (1)
AdamPrins
New Contributor

An Experience Builder application I'm working on will contain a number of widgets. When I click to launch each widget, I need them to open in the same spot in the app.

Let's say, for example, I have my widget controller laid out across the top of the application. I need each widget to launch in a specific fixed location on the app. Each widget, upon clicking, should open inside of a fixed panel. When I click to open another widget, it should replace the previous widget that was open in the exact same fixed panel.

This would be similar to how some of the old WAB themes functioned with a fixed sidebar. The widgets always open in the same sidebar.

The way Experience Builder behaves currently, you end up with an interface littered with open widgets of varying sizes and in different spots on the screen. This looks awful, and is not an effective way to interact with the application. 

Are there plans to implement this functionality? Is anyone aware of a workaround that will allow me to specify precisely the spot on the screen where my widgets should launch?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoPoetsch
Occasional Contributor II

You could use view sections and control those either with "Views Navigation"or, like the example above, with buttons.

MarcoPoetsch_0-1646859117242.png

Therefore:

1. Create either a new fixed panel or a sidebar
  2. insert new sections/views
  3. insert the widgets
  4. create either a "views navigation" or buttons to control the views

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MarcoPoetsch
MarcoPoetsch

You could use view sections and control those either with "Views Navigation"or, like the example above, with buttons.

MarcoPoetsch_0-1646859117242.png

Therefore:

1. Create either a new fixed panel or a sidebar
  2. insert new sections/views
  3. insert the widgets
  4. create either a "views navigation" or buttons to control the views
AdamPrins
New Contributor

Ah ha! That's an excellent workaround, thanks @MarcoPoetsch!

It'd be great (and much simpler) if we had the option to just set the target location of the open widget interface, but I think sections should do the trick for now.

MarcoPoetsch

yes, agree, that would be a great option. Maybe in the future 🙂

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Would someone be able to elaborate on these steps? I am looking to create the same idea as the example map shared here - using the buttons to show a docked layer list or legend but am having trouble linking the buttons to the widget.

0 Kudos
MarcoPoetsch

@Anonymous Userif you click "Set Link"  you should be able to link to different types. One of them should be "View". This will extent your options and you will see "Section"

MarcoPoetsch_0-1649910884646.png

Does this help?

0 Kudos
S_RossWygmans_GISS-T
New Contributor II

How do you make your custom button icons @MarcoPoetsch ? 

0 Kudos