Select to view content in your preferred language

Modifying Online Experience Builder Widgets Locally Through Code

04-05-2024 06:43 AM
TranstecAdmin
New Contributor

I’ve been working with ArcGIS Experience Builder online and have created several widgets customized to fit my project's needs. I've reached a point where the built-in customization options within the online platform are not sufficient for the specific functionality and styling adjustments I want to implement.

Before I dive deeper, I want to clarify:

Is it possible to download the code for widgets that were created and configured in the online Experience Builder, and then modify that code locally to achieve more granular customizations?

Specifically, I'm looking to:

• Access the underlying code of widgets configured online.
  • Make detailed modifications to the widget's functionality and appearance, beyond what the online UI allows.
  • Re-upload or integrate these modified widgets back into my online Experience Builder project.

I understand that local development with Experience Builder involves creating custom widgets from scratch using TypeScript and React. However, my goal is to directly modify the existing widgets I've already configured online, if at all possible.

Any guidance, insights, or shared experiences on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

The short answer is no. You cannot modify the code of widgets in ArcGIS Online at all and it does not support uploading custom widgets.

It is however possible to use Developer Edition to copy and modify the OOTB widgets. It might be possible to connect to your existing project in Developer Edition to salvage some of your existing work, but you may need to re-build it all.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas