I am working on an Experience (built with developer edition) with a contact form created with the Survey widget.
With version Beta 2.0, the form worked correctly, but since the final version, the form no longer appears and indicates the message "invalid clientId".
I tried to create a new form, but the result is the same.
Thanks for your help.
Can you provide some details on what your elements your survey contains so we can try and reproduce? Also, where are you seeing the invalid clientid message?
Here is the link to the form:
This form works correctly in an AGOL Experience:
The form is in a view, and the message "invalid clientId" appears at the top left of this view.
Can you please provide the solution for this issue. I believe I have exhausted all possibilities to no avail. You mention that you were able to reproduce; please outline what was done for those of us that continue to be disrupted. I am using ExB ( Developer Version) and every attempt to add a table (new or existing) returns with an "invalid clientid". Please advise
Thanks much for the quick response. That Worked marvelously! Seems like I search everywhere for a solution on this with no avail. Nothing like just the right amount of progress when all else seems dark and gloomy:) Once again, much thanks.
Back again. Unfortunately, the bug fix worked for ExB developer but now that I have deployed it on my web server Im now receiving the "invalid clientid" (see attached). Please advise
I copied the two files to the right folders.
But it does not work.
I don't have "invalid clientId", but the Survey icon, not my survey.
I restart client service.
I did the test on Chrome, Mozilla and Edge by living the cache.
The result is the same every time.